Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
Accessions Report - Winter 2011
Any lull this summer has passed into distant memory. Our Committee is now busier than ever. Pat Rimmington is going through the papers from the Joan Jackson estate and identifying photographs that were piled in the box this summer. Dona Schutz came as a visitor and to bring another photograph or two. She was put to work identifying some of ours. Cheryl Erickson has returned and is working on the files and thank you notes to the donors. Laura Pellior has changed her hours so we don't see her while she does the membership work. Sue McMahan fills in where necessary when she and Doris Lawless aren't tending to the Gift Shop or doing school tours.
Researchers of Twentynine Palms history are welcome to visit us on Wednesday mornings as we are always at the Old Schoolhouse Library then. For those that live farther away, you are able to contact us through our website. The information on how to obtain research assistance is there. Requests by e-mail and regular mail are restricted to one or two specific areas. A $20.00 donation is required by the e-mail and regular mail requests.
- Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin. Published 1910 by Houghton Mifflin Co. through Grosset & Dunlop (possibly 1950-52).
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. Copyright Little, Brown & Co. Published through Grosset & Dunlop.
- The Builder of the Dam by William Heyliger. Published 1929 by Sprague Publishing Co.
- Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms by Harriet Lummis Smith. Published 1928 (8th Impression) by A. L. Burt Co.
- Pollyanna's Debt of Honor by Harriet Lummis Smith. Published 1927 (First Impression) by L. C. Page and Co.
- Little Men by Louisa May Alcott. Published 1947 by Grosset & Dunlap, Inc. All books donated by Helen Marcum. She also donated two boxes of other books for sale out of our Gift Shop.
- DVD of 2005 visit of Willis and Corrine Keys' to the Twentynine Palms Old Timers Gathering and tour of Keys Ranch. While there Willis started a 1918 Mack Truck.
- 1954 Neighborhood Frontier.
- Indian Cemetery information (copies of letters from 1940s and copies of newspaper articles concerning cemetery) and the attempt to restore the Native American Cemetery on Adobe Rd. Compiled by Pat Rimmington. Items 6 through 9 donated by Greg Mendoza.
- Bell & Howell film Sound 35 Film/Strip Projector. Donated by Robert and Edith Carter.
- Scanned Record CD of Historic Resources Study of Land Use in Joshua Tree National Monument by Linda Greene, September 1968 and History of Joshua Tree National Monument by Samuel King, 1954. Both scanned, copied, and donated by Les Snodgrass.
- Court of Last Resort by Erle Stanley Gardner, 2nd printing (soft cover), March 1954 Revised edition. Published by Pocket Books, Inc. Donated by Terry King.
- Legal guide for California Prospectors & Miners, 1973. Written by various authors. California Jade, a collection of reprints 1976 special publication, Vertical Deformation, Stress Accumulation, and Secondary Faulting in the Vicinity of the Transverse Ranges of Southern California, Bulletin 203, 1979 by Donald A. Roger. All three publications by State of California, Division of Mines & Geology. These three items found in Library and accessed.
- Flat Iron Presser with Wooden Handle for pressing hamburger patties from Dean's Cafe. Donated by Jerri Hagman.
- Desert Artist's Cookery, produced by the Twentynine Palms Artists Guild 1988. Donated by Sue McMahan.
- Copper oil can for future Hastie Bus display.
- China cup advertising Van Dyke Van Lines.
- Sundae dish from Kenney's Drug Store. The last three items donated by Jim Woolsey.
- Framed, under glass, 32-1/2" x 27" Bobcat on a Rock chalk (medium pastels) painting by Hazel B. Bader. Donated by Hazel B. Bader.
- Sharing Our Best from the May Circle Guild (Little Church of the Desert), published by Morris Press Cookbooks 2011. Donated by Cheryl Erickson.
- Martha Eunice Hatch: The Early Years. A booklet compiled by Martha Hatch Reich.
- Meet Our Friends, Second Grade Reader by William H. Burton, Clara Belle Baker, and Grace K. Kemp. California Series 1954. Published by State Dept. of Education.
- Blue child's chair pull toy with wheels that still turn. Last two items from Jerri Hagman.
- Two Morongo Basin Rotary Club Publications.
- Food For My Household by Twentynine Palms 1st Relief Society Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Published by Cookbook Publishers 1987.
- Tumbleweed Favorite Recipes of Emblem Club 395, Twentynine Palms, Self published 1985.
- Volunteers Recipes for Success 2004 Volunteer Recognition Cook Book, by San Bernardino County Library. Self published.
- Officers Wives Club Cook Book Marine Corps Base, self published by using mimeograph c.1950.
- Little Church of the Desert Cookbook published 1986 by Cookbook Publishers.
- From Our Kitchen to Yours, Wonder Valley American Legion Auxiliary Unit 729. Published by Tateway Publishing Co. 1984 or 1985.
- Home Town Recipes Senior Council Inc. Twentynine Palms. Published by Women's Club Publishing Co. No date given.
- Burnt Offerings, Twentynine Palms Fire Department Auxiliary. Published by Fund Craft Publishing Inc. 1989.
- Palms Baptist Church Not Your Ordinary Cookbook published by Cookbooks Unlimited 1994.
- Creative Cooking from the Landers Area. Self published 1981 by the Landers Area Chamber of Commerce. Dedicated to Rena DeWitt and signed by Vernett Landers.
- Butter 'n Love Recipes by Xiota Tau Twentynine Palms. Published by Fund Craft Publishing 1977.
- Elegant Edibles from Iota Chapter Delta Kappa Gamma. Self published 1983.
- Tasteful Treasures Palms Southern Baptist Church. Published by Morris Press 1997.
- Favorite Recipes Little Church of the Desert. Compiled by Evening Circle and self published 1997. All cookbooks from 25 to 39 donated by Cheryl Erickson.
- Decorated "boot" made by Moose Hollis and belonged to Blanche Ellis. It was in the 1940 Pioneer Day Parade. Sign on it says "Blanche Ellis, Esther Williams 1948". Donated by Ruth Morris.
- Mountain Rescue by Helen Orlob. Published by Thomas Nelson & Sons 1963. Inscribed by author and thanks Noble Garner for his assistance. Mr. Garner organized 29 Palms Search and Rescue. Donated by Nick Garner.
- Twentynine Palms by Deanne Stillman. Published 2002. Donated by Twentynine Palms Library through Cheryl Erickson.
- Program Booklet: California's Attorney Applicant's Association honors William Herreras, Esq. As recipient of the Eugene Marias Lifetime Achievement Award January 22, 2011. Ted Vick was Mr. Herreras eighth grade teacher at the Old Schoolhouse. Donated by Ted Vick.
- Fund raiser tray for the Methodist Church Twentynine Palms. Picture of Master Plan for church on tray. Donated by Pat Rimmington.
- 1979 spiral binder MCB Twentynine Palms Master Plan Naval Facilities Engineering Command.
- Three ring binder Master Plan Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center. It contains history and plans for base.
- Condor Field Poster created for Old Schoolhouse Friday night lecture given by John Hale. Last three items donated by Jimmy Biggerstaff.
- Cacti Agaves and Yuccas of California and Nevada by Steven Ingram. Published by Cachuma Press 2008.
- Western Gem Hunters Atlas written and published by Cy Johnson 1966.
- Desert Lore of Southern California by Choral Pepper. Published by Sunbelt Publications 2nd edition 1999.
- Mines of the High Desert by Ronald Dean Miller. Published by La Siesta Press 1992.
- Copy of chapter entitled Samuelson's Rocks from Erle Stanley Gardner's In the Neighborhood published in 1954.
- Joshua Tree A Color Guide to the 2600 Best Rock Climbs & Boulder Problems by Robert Miramountes. Published by Wolverine Publications 2011.
- Little Known Tales in California History by Alton Pryor. Published by Stagecoach Publishing, 7th printing 2011.
- 1,500 California Place Names by William Bright. Published by University of California Press. Revised by Erwin Guddie, 3rd. edition. 1998.
- Burro Bill and Me by Edna Calkins Price. Published by Death Valley National History Association. No date given.
- A Guide to Rattlesnakes of the United States by Brian Hubbs and Brendan O'Connor. Published 2009 through Tri Color Books.
- Roadside Plants of Southern California by Thomas J. Belzer. Published by Mountain Press Publishing Co. 1984.
- One Dollar Pinto Basin Water District share, photographs and pamphlets about Joshua Tree National Monument and Joshua Tree National Park.
- A Check List of the Vascular Plants of Death Valley National Monument by Larry Norris. Published by Death Valley Natural History Association through Chalfant Press, Inc. 1982.
- Indian Uses of Desert Plants by James W. Cornett. Published by Palm Springs Desert Museum 1995.
- Desert Wildlife by Edmund C. Jaegar. Published by Stanford University Press 1961.
- The Southwest Inside Out by Thomas Wiewandt and Maureen Wilks. Published by Wild Horizons, 2nd edition 2004.
- Indians and Desert Animals by James W. Cornett. Published by Nature Trails Press 2000.
- Mohave Desert Dictionary by Patricia A. Schoffstall. Published by Mojave River Valley Museum. No date.
- An Explanatory Text to Accompany the Fault Activity Map of California and Adjacent Areas by Charles W. Jennings. Published 1994 through California Department of Conservation. Items 47 through 65 donated by Laureen Lentz. There was not time before publication to list the other items Ms. Lentz donated.
We were also given items that were not archived as we intend to use them. Wesley Fish donated a projector table, Kodak Slide Projector, projector screen, and an empty carousel. Courtney Vaughan brought in a CD of the Chamber Mixer at the Historic Plaza. The items from the Joan Jackson Estate will be enumerated when archiving is complete.
There are still items to be accessed, but we just received the release form with the donor's signature. Without the signed release we have no right to retain anything brought to the museum unless it was an anonymous gift. Our accessions committee wants to thank everyone again who donated. Your generosity allows us to catalog and save the history of our area for future generations.
Please support our
Get Involved | Young Historian | Board of Directors | Research | O.S.H. Journal | School Tours | Events Calendar | Lectures | Weed ShowSM | Old Timers Gathering | Historic Sites | Hastie Bus | Generations | Homesteaders | Engraved Bricks | Displays | Gift Shop | Book Shop | President's Message | Museum Expansion | Articles | Photos | Links | Contact Us | Site Map
© 2008-2017 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved. Web hosting contributed by LazyPalm.com