Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
Accessions Report - Fall 2012by Marilyn Collier
Summer will be almost over when you receive this issue of the Old Schoolhouse Journal. Our work crew hasn't diminished, but there are absences when people take vacations and travel to other parts of the world. Sid Rimmington has joined our group to start entering the archival information into the computer software.
Sue McMahan and Cheryl Erickson will work at the filing and Cheryl sends the thank you notes to our donors. Sue and Doris Lawless do work in the Gift Shop when necessary. Laura Pellior continues to keep the membership work up-to-date. Velma Holland catalogs the library books and Les and Nolan are busy at other projects. Marilyn Fernald and Pat Rimmington work on the photographs to be identified when the Weed Show duties haven't called them away. I've had a bit of a respite as our donations have dropped significantly during the summer.
Researchers of Twentynine Palms history are welcome to visit us on Wednesday mornings as we are always at the Old Schoolhouse Museum Library. For those that live farther away, you are able to contact us through our website. The information on how to obtain research assistance is there. Requests by e-mail and regular mail are restricted to one or two specific area requests. A $20.00 donation is required by the e-mail and regular mail requests. If you want to know what is happening at the Old Schoolhouse Museum or view the latest and oldest photographs visit: https://www.29palmshistorical.com.
- Two 8" x 10" photographs. One is a 1968 Pioneer Days float. Dana Bowden is the young girl and Chuck Bell is standing in the middle. The second photo is of a tour bus and the San Bernardino Chamber of Commerce Committee members. Photos donated by Dana Bowden.
- Small metal washboard. Printed on wood is The Daisy made by Howard Mfg. Co., Kent, Wash. found in our Water Tower.
- Slide carousel and 135 slides of the Twentynine Palms area and its inhabitants. Alan Bagley made a list of all the places and people. Donated by Alan through Al and Marion Gartner.
- Slide carousel and 139 slides of Twentynine Palms and its inhabitants from the Les Earenfight estate. Donated by Elizabeth Meyer through Al and Marion Gartner.
- Sixty-seven slides of the Dale Mining District in the 1960s. Donated by Jean Crowl through Al and Marion Gartner.
- Two DVD's containing Oral Histories of Ronald Miller. He was a teacher here and a Jack Rabbit homesteader. The second DVD shows his home featured in an Upland Home Tour. Donated by Ann Lara.
- Kodak carousel containing 97 slides of Twentynine Palms in 1995.
- Kodak Carousel containing 66 slides of Twentynine Palms in 1995.
- Empty Kodak carousel. Items 7 through 9 donated by Al and Marion Gartner.
- One 8" x 10" photograph by Harlow Jones of Joshua Tree National Monument Oasis of Mara titled A Scene in Twentynine Palms, California.
- Album page of 15 photographs of Twentynine Palms and one elderly man. Photographs donated by April Khulmeyer.
- 23-3/4" x 10-1/2" oil painting of desert in wooden frame. Purchased from Twentynine Palms Art Gallery. No signature, but presumed to be by Carl G. Bray c.1950s-60s. Donated by Katherine Truesdell.
- Copies of photographs of early Twentynine Palms Boy Scouts and a 1933 meetings of the Road Committee. Donated by Elizabeth Meyer.
- 33-1/3 LP record. Twentynine Palms High School Presents Sounds of Love with Sugar 'n' Spice. Stephen Rundquist, Music Director. Never opened. Donated by Jerry and Rosa Lee Fabricius.
- Nature Book for Scout Leaders 1926-1927 (has calendar as one of the pages), Comstock Publishing Co., N.Y. Imitation leather cover, loose leaf book with copper pins holding the various booklets.
- The Vicar of Wakefield by Oliver Goldsmith, The MacMillan Co., 1926 New York. Both books donated by Joe Meyers.
- Paper crimper for 12-gauge shotgun shells c.1890s early 1900s. Donated by Ruth Couch.
- Fifteen historic postcards. Donated by Jim Woolsey.
- Mechanical pencil sharpener. Boston KS on side. From Bill Holmes estate. Donated by Doris Lawless.
- Photo album of Frasher photos of rock formations in Joshua Tree National Monument. Bagley Christmas card, two 8x10 photos. One of smoke trees and one of old road. Panorama photo (six photos taped together), three photos of Willis and Gwyn Keys.
- Four newspaper articles and DVD containing documents and photos of early Twentynine Palms days. Photos, card, articles and DVD donated by Sam Bailey, Jr.
- Two copies of Timeline: Story of Alan Stevenson Bagley 2007.
- Einstein's Adventure in Joshua Tree National Park by Mingo Morvin.
- Two Scrapbooks about Twentynine Palms Library.
- Twentynine Palms advertising ruler.
- Sixty-eight telephone directories of Morongo Basin communities.
- Sixty-eight Pioneer Days buttons.
- San Bernardino County Association Quarterly Vol. 39/4 Fall 1992. Postal History of San Bernardino County. Items 22 through 28 donated by Twentynine Palms Library through Cheryl Erickson.
- Bev Doolittle Calendar 2002. Donated by Marilyn Fernald.
- Telephone Directory for Wonder Valley's Tinker Bell Line. Newspaper clippings: One about Tinker Bell Line and one about the dedication party of the Old Schoolhouse Museum.
- The official invitation to attend the dedication of the Old Schoolhouse Museum. Items 30 and 31 donated by Karen Meyers and Darlene Parris from the Louise Borquez estate.
We've also received some fabulous Western paintings, but I did not have the paperwork. You'll read about them in the Winter edition of the Journal.
There are times when an item has been given and the donor known, but we cannot archive them until we have a release form with the donor's signature and a witness's signature. Without the signed releases we have no right to retain anything brought to the museum unless it was an anonymous gift. Our Editors also insist on having the reports by a certain date. There may not have been sufficient time to complete all the necessary procedures. Our Accessions Committee wants to thank everyone who donated. Your generosity allows us to catalog and save the history of our area for future generations.
Please support our
Get Involved | Young Historian | Board of Directors | Research | O.S.H. Journal | School Tours | Events Calendar | Lectures | Weed ShowSM | Old Timers Gathering | Historic Sites | Hastie Bus | Generations | Homesteaders | Engraved Bricks | Displays | Gift Shop | Book Shop | President's Message | Museum Expansion | Articles | Photos | Links | Contact Us | Site Map
© 2008-2017 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved. Web hosting contributed by LazyPalm.com