Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
Accessions Report - Summer 2014by Marilyn Collier
Our spring winds are following us into summer, but since there is always work to be done at the museum the Accessions Crew keeps working. We are all volunteers that love history, the museum and Twentynine Palms. If you are interested in computer work or lending a helping hand at the museum stop by and see us. We can always find something that would interest you and we are shorthanded.
The 100 Year Project Committee has completed most of the work and will soon go to the publisher. Pat Rimmington, Cheryl Erickson and Les Snodgrass were the core group coordinating with the Morongo Basin Historical Society. The 100 Year Project is explained on our website.
Sue McMahan and Melanie Robbins continue to rearrange the exhibits in the main Exhibit Room. Laura Pellior has completed her schooling and has resigned as Membership Chairperson. Congratulations Laura! Les Snodgrass still has enough projects to keep three people busy. Cathy Snodgrass is still scouting for unique pieces of purple glass for the Gift Shop and doing the yard work.
We received another box of beautiful “purple” glass from Mary Leazer. When we say purple glass we mean the old glass that started out clear. The minerals used in making the glass will change to pink, purple, or amber. Remember to think of us when cleaning out a garage or storage area. There may be something that relates to the history of our town, schools, the people of our community. If you are not sure, bring it in on Wednesday morning and we can tell you if it is something that the museum would need or like. Please don’t throw away our history.
Researchers of Twentynine Palms history are welcome to visit us on Wednesday mornings as we are always at the Old Schoolhouse Museum Library. For those that live farther away, you are able to contact us through our website. The information on how to obtain research assistance is there. Requests by e-mail and regular mail are restricted to one or two specific area requests. A $20.00 donation is required by e-mail and regular mail requests. If you want to know what is happening at the Old Schoolhouse Museum or view the latest and oldest photograph visit: https://www.29palmshistorical.com.
- Scrapbook album of Twentynine Palms 1953 through 1962.
- Golf Course: President of Realty Board, Letters, News, Articles from 1959 on 18 hole Golf Course, planning and litigation to stop Golf Course. Photographs in back. 1965 last entry.
- Album of Women’s Club, photos, newspaper articles, Weed Show 1962 program. Covers 1961 through 1963.
- Green Album: The Twentynine Palms Board of Realtors 1955-1959. Contains a record of activities and personal items of Mildred Ruth Ronde.
- Black Corduroy Album: BEI Sigma Phi program book 1959-1960. Photographs, newspaper articles, invitations and programs.
- Commissioned Officers Mess 179th Marine Corps Birthday Ball 1775-1954 Program.
- Book: Safe at Dobly’s by F.H. Brink.
- The Desert Cookbook published by Twentynine Palms Women’s Club 1945. Agnes Folgelstrom Twentynine
- Palms printed on first page. Printed by the Desert Trail. This is a copy of the first book published in 29 Palms.
- Souvenir Edition Southern California Invitational Championship Basketball Tournament March 31-April 1, 1962. Promotes Twentynine Palms. Items 1 through 9 donated by Lisa Foster.
- U.S. Marines at Twentynine Palms by Colonel Vern E. Ludwig, Ret. Published 1989 by History and Museums Division Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps, Washington, D.C. Signed and inscribed by author.
- Poster: Reelect Frank Bland San Bernardino County Sheriff.
- San Bernardino County Seal (Round).
- Kenny Drug plastic pill bottle has Kenny Drug, address and telephone number on white plastic lid.
- Photograph: Dr. Ince’s daughters on horse.
- Three slides of Saddle Club and one negative.
- Membership card: California State Guard. Photo of Dr. William Ince.
- Postcard: Has photo of Ince Hospital.
- Sally Ince’s menus and guest lists.
- Guest list for Twentynine Palms Chamber of Commerce Officer’s. Items ten through nineteen donated by Susan Bise.
- Set of planes (five) for wood joiners. Different sizes, some have beveled edge and others rounded.
- Copy of Photograph: This is a class photo of Seventh Grade at the Old Schoolhouse in 1951. All but two of the students are identified.. The last two items donated by Barbara Murphy.
- White Huell Howser Polo Shirt with gray color and gray bands on sleeve. Huell on the right side and Catalina Island Museum written underneath. Donated by Jack Briggs.
- Archaeological Investigation of the Oasis of Mara CA-SBR 2052/H. Joan Schneider, Ph.D. Principal Investigator and G. Dicksen Everson, Ph.D. Field Director, published May28, 2003. Donated by Al and Marion Gartner.
- Two WWII khaki towels. Donated by Sue McMahan.
- 25 Year Reunion Booklet. Class of 1963 Twentynine Palms High School.
- Framed 9 ½" x 11 ½" photograph of 5.8 MG Tank Site, Campbell Hill 1986. Label includes Directors: R. Erickson, G. Crichton, E. Carter, J. Lohn, R. Garvin, Gen. Mgr. B. Kennedy, Engr. G. Reiter, Construction Desert Underground, Inc. Donated by Bob and Edie Carter.
- History of New Dale by Jim Wharff. Published in 2008.
- A Short History of Dale City by Jim Wharff. Published in 2008.
- The Mines by Jim Wharff. Published in 2008.
- Two copies of photographs taken in mining areas.
- Photograph of Carl Shapel, Paul Shirley and unknown man.
- Photocopy of newspaper article about Colonel Wm. F. Humphreys presenting Karl Shapel with plaque honoring his contributions to Twentynine Palms. Items 27 through 32 donated by William “Bill” Shirley.
- 40"x32" Photograph of Willis Keys on matted oyster white board.
- 40"x32" Blue matted board with photograph of a much younger Willis Keys. Unknown donor as last two items found at door.
- Three pictures of Road Runner checking out our Gift Shop. Donated by Karen Meyers.
- 1958 Water District proposal to sell $150,000 bond issue.
- Twentynine Palms Water District Audit Report June 30, 1972.
- Twentynine Palms Water District 1958-1962 Minutes, budgets, Flourex (sic) Debate paper, fight charges against an employee.
- Twentynine Palms Water District Minutes from March 3, 1966 to Nov. 19, 1969. Correspondence to and from San Bernardino County, Budgets, Resolutions and Ordinance files. Minutes from 1958 and 1959. Correspondence from insurance company, proposals, insurance policy from 1931, Parks and Recreation audits and Water District Audits.
- San Bernardino County Ordinance regarding Fire and Forestry.
- Audit report June 30, 1973 and Summons for Court Case. Report from County Health Department.
- Individual letters, reports, audits and newspaper clippings about Twentynine Palms Water District. All 29 Palms Water District information found by door in an old Wal-Mart shopping bag.
- El Oasis Year Books: 1952 and 1953. Donated by Bernd Kramer of Austria.
- Native Clays DVD by Tony Soares. Shows process of paddle and anvil pot making from digging to finish with background music. Donated by Pat Rimmington by way of Tony Soares.
- Purple Glass 5" juice glass, possibly Fosteria, 2" decorative border of swirls.
- Two purple glass medicine bottles. Small purple glass frog for holding flowers. Purple glass 6" candleholder, two glass cordials with gold trim. Purple glass creamer with diagonal design.
- Purple glass 4 ½" tall juice glass, decorative bottom, top has leaves and fruit.
- Purple 2 ½" double shot glass. Three ray stars around glass.
- Purple 3 ¼" tall by 3 ½" across top dessert cup with band around rim
- Purple 3" glass bottle. Chesebrough Vaseline Manufact Co. in raised glass letters.
- Purple 2"x3": jelly glass with lines.
- Purple glass salt cellar. Has a diamond ring.
- Small Amber glass candy dish with diamond cut decorations and flared rim.
- Amber glass sugar bowl, small flowers in rounds and depressed ovals around bowl.
- Small amber Ball Ideal canning jar.
- Purple glass juicer.
- Purple glass butter mold. Dome top has two rows of circles.
- Small amber glass creamer. Matches the sugar bowl above.
- Amber glass juicer.
- Amber glass dessert cup with stem and square base.
- Amber glass frog for holding flowers.
- 7 ½" amber glass goblet. Floral spray around bowl, etched ovals on base.
- Amber glass butter dish. Dimpled outside bottom, flared, graduated rims for handles.
- 7 ½" small amber glass server with dimpled ridge in middle.
- Amber glass relish plate with flowers on bottom.
- Amber glass candy bowl.
- Small amber glass dessert bowl on stem. Base is square. All purple and amber glass donated by Mary Leazer.
- Manuscript and Research: Blue Skies, Sand and an Oasis: Memoir of a Homesteader in 1929. There are four three ringed notebooks. Index copy with chapters 1 to 5. Volume 2 has chapters 6 to 10 and the appendix. The next is filled with Index file for research: Maps, Correspondence. The fourth contains the copyright certificate and edited edition of Blue Skies, Sand and an Oasis written by Robert “Bob” Lage. Mr. Lage donated the book and research to us.
- The High Desert Salutes Twentynine Palms Marine Base in magazine format. Published by Armed Services Publishers. They include a disclaimer that they are not connected with the U.S. Navy.
- Copy of newspaper article, Feb. 26, 1959. It is entitled: Stephanie Ince is Nat. Math Honor Club Member.
- Two round paper Gateway to Joshua Tree National Monument at top and The Desert Is Best written on bottom. 29 Palms and a palm tree are in the middle of the circle.
There are times when an item has been given and the donor known, but we cannot archive them until we have a Gift Release Form with the donor’s signature and a witness’s signature. Without the signed releases we have no right to retain anything brought to the museum unless it was an anonymous gift. Our editors also insist on having the reports by a certain date. There may not have been sufficient time to complete all the necessary procedures. Our Accessions Committee wants to thank everyone who donated. Your generosity allows us to catalog and save the history of our area for future generations.
Please support our
Get Involved | Young Historian | Board of Directors | Research | O.S.H. Journal | School Tours | Events Calendar | Lectures | Weed ShowSM | Old Timers Gathering | Historic Sites | Hastie Bus | Generations | Homesteaders | Engraved Bricks | Displays | Gift Shop | President's Message | Articles | Photos | Links | Contact Us | Site Map
© 2008-2020 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved. Web hosting contributed by LazyPalm.com