Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
Accessions Report - Fall 2014by Marilyn Collier
Summer is definitely here, but soon the hot, humid, monsoon season will be a memory. The Accessions Crew at the old Schoolhouse Museum keeps working. We are all volunteers that love history, the museum, and Twentynine Palms. If you are interested in computer work or lending a helping hand at the museum stop by and see us on Wednesday morning. We can always find something that will interest you and we are short-handed.
The 100-Year Project Committee has been to the publisher. Pat Rimmington, Cheryl Erickson, and Les Snodgrass were the core group coordinating with the Morongo Basin Historical Society.
Someone has heard our plea for help. Renee Burns has joined our Wednesday morning group and is busy catching up on all the un-entered computer data. The work that Sue McMahan and Melanie Robbins buzz through each Wednesday in the Gift Shop has created an experience to be enjoyed. Sue keeps busy with the filing when she has a break. Nolan Lockwood has taken a couple of breaks and so has Cheryl Erickson. Nolan has been doing extra duty as Membership Chairperson. If you have skills with the computer, it is something that can be done within an hour or two each week. This is one of the areas that we really need someone to fill. Les Snodgrass could still keep two or three people busy with his projects.
When clearing out a garage or storage area, please consider our museum. There may be something that relates to the history of our town, schools, or the people of our community. If you are not sure, bring it in on Wednesday morning and we can tell you if it is something that the museum would need or like. Please don't throw away our history.
Researchers of Twentynine Palms history are welcome to visit us on Wednesday mornings as we are always at the Old Schoolhouse Museum Library. For those that live farther away, you are able to contact us through our website. The information on how to obtain research assistance is there. Requests by e-mail and regular mail are restricted to one or two specific area requests. A $20.00 donation is required by e-mail and regular mail requests. If you want to know what is happening at the Old Schoolhouse Museum or view the latest and oldest photograph visit: https://www.29palmshistorical.com.
- Thirty-six High Desert magazines from Vol. 1 No. 1 Fall 1989 to Vol. 10 No. 3 Fall 1998 with magazine holders. Donated by Al & Marion Gartner.
- Ten copied photos of the Randolph family and their Randolph Ranch homestead located in JTNP. The family has the homestead grandfathered into the park. Verne E. Randolph Jr. still lives there.
- Songbook: Student's edition. Published 1909 Stanhope Press. Donated through Molly Vermette from Jared and Jaimi Zwicker.
- Great Basin Drama: The story of a National Park by Darwin Lambert. Roberts Rinehart publisher 1991.
- A Skeptic Among Scholars by August Fruge, published by the University of California Press 1993.
- Pi Lines & Interludes by Kirk Martin, published by Sagebrush Press 1983.
- California Desert Byways by Tony Huegel, published by the Post Company 1995. Signed and an inscribed message to Art Kidwell by the author.
- Ventures West Book One by Burt Murphy, published by MBAR publishing 1996.
- Joshua Tree: The Complete Guide by James Kaiser. Printed in Singapore 2nd edition 2005.
- Movie reel: Les Earenfight interview. Part 2.
- Movie reel: Bagley Day 1957.
- Tape of Dr. Claude Warren's Talk on Elizabeth Campbell. October 13, 1996.
- Tape: Dr. Claude Warren October 12, 1993.
- Cattle King of Leavenworth: Mathew Ryan by Art Kidwell. Published by Art Craft 2012. Mr. Kidwell has signed and dedicated this book to the Twentynine Palms Historical Society.
- A Piece of Bailing Wire: Homesteading in the Desert by Grace Loomis Odell. Published by Mojave River Valley Museum 2012. Signed by author.
- Sierra Nevada Sequence by Ardis M. Walker. Published by Sierra Trails Press. Illustrated wood engravings by Kirk Martin. Signed by author.
- Colorful Illusion: 18 Years in a Desert Art Gallery by Lee Lukes Pickering. Published by Decades Press 1982.
- A Peculiar Piece of Desert by Lulu Rasmussen O'Neal. Published by Western Lore Press 1957.
- Reflections From a Publishing Career by August Fruge. Published by the University of California Press 1997. Card, photo and signature by August Fruge. Written by staff and friends.
- Calico Print by Dennis G. Casebier. Published by Tales of the Mojave Road Publishing Co. Compiled Works of Lucile Weight. Inscribed and signed by the author.
- Desert Moods Poems and Prose by June Le Mert Payton. Published, inscribed and signed by author 1962.
- Colorful Characters of Yucca Valley by Ruth Duarte. Illustrated by Kirk Martin. Self published 1970.
- Sentimental Venture by E.I. Edwards. Published by Tales of the Mojave Road 1976. All of the listed items from 5 through 23 were donated by Art Kidwell and are part of the Art Kidwell Collection.
- Four-drawer legal size file cabinet for the Art Kidwell Collection.
- Refreshments for the Hastie Bus Ribbon Cutting.
- Twenty-five Corrine Keys Memorial cards. Last three items donated by Laureen Lentz.
- HOWL 2013 Copper Mountain College's literary magazine. Published by the Copper Mountain Foundation 2013.
- California Gold Days California State Textbook. Published by California State Dept. of Education 1957. Last two items donated by Velma Holland.
- Staff Noncommissioned Officers 209th Birthday Ceremony Marine Pride World Wide (Lists ceremony events).
- Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center 29 Palms, CA. Marine Corps 214th Birthday Pageant Celebration.
- Change of Command Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center June 1, 1992.
- The MCAGCC band presents a celebration in honor of the 220th birthday of the Corps.
- Thanksgiving Day dinner MCAGCC 29 Palms Nov. 26, 1998.
- Dedication of the Page Hall Military Historical Exhibit Staff Noncommissioned Officer Academy MAGTF Training Command MCAGCC 29 Palms, CA 02289. An invitation to Staff Sgt. James E. Biggerstaff. All of the Marine Corps programs and the invitation, items 29-34, donated by Jimmy Biggerstaff.
- Photo Album: Lawrence Louis Jacobs. Inside is titled "Book of Memories." Someone by the name of Klara (possibly Hines is surname) compiled the album. It's dated May 4, 1940. Photos are of the early days in 29 Palms. One is the Old Adobe dated 1928. Someone added 1943-44 photos of Condor Field. Donated by Judy Volmer.
- Book: Three ring binder compiled by Richard "Dick" Moran. It contains detailed information on our Generations project and the collection of information on 29 Palms early homesteaders. There are photo copies of the early buildings. Donated by Richard "Dick" Moran.
- Album: Photographs of the James Cooley family, James, Estelle, Cynthia, Robert, and Bruce. A mini bio by Cynthia Cooley 29 Palms 1948. Photo copies of family, the adobe home they rented and the Old Schoolhouse they attended. Donated by Cynthia Cooley Vest.
- Lyons photo album: Photos of Lyon's store, events, and local organizations. Donated by Diana Lyons.
- Motormeter made by Vintaque Inc. This is for the Hastie Bus and will be installed. Donated by David and Pat Bradley.
- Calico Print Collection. Donated by Charles and Judy Sellinger.
- Radio Doc photo album of James H. and Cora McKitrick, family and friends.
- Photo Album of the Old Schoolhouse from the original location to its current site: before, during and after move and other 29 Palms sites.
- Photo album of moving Old Schoolhouse from original site. Unknown photographer of items 41-43.
- Photo album dated 1940 and compiled by Klara Hines for L.L. Jacobs. Desert scenes by Harlow Jones and Frasher. Donated by Fred Knoll.
- Two small photo albums from Fred Vaile Collection: Photos of desert trips and trips to Las Vegas.
- Bagley Day photo albums: Contains photos of Allie Wrubel's song and the Homestead patent. Photos of the Bagley family, guest list, invitations, and article from the Desert Trail. All items found in a file and not accessed until now.
- Donald Patterson's Sick Children Diagnosis and Treatment, 8th edition by Reginald Lightwood, M.D. and F.S.W. Brimblecombe, M.D. Published by Cassell, London 1963. (original 1933). Donated by Pat Rimmington.
- Officer's Marine Uniform Service A, coat and slacks.
- Officer's Marine Dress uniform, coat and slacks.
- Marine uniform Officer's, coat and slacks.
- Marine Uniform Dress Coat. All Marine uniforms donated by Richard "Dick" Moran.
- Letter pertaining to fund raising and ceremony comments for dedication of Tom Nicoll Memorial Field Stadium. Letter written by Mary V. Nicoll. John Cole is on stationary heading.
- Letters and copies of changing zoning for lots 52 and 53 at NE corner of Adobe Road and 29 Palms Highway to Mary V. Nicoll. The last three items were left on the Old Schoolhouse Museums front porch. We suspect Mary Jane Binge was our anonymous donor.
- The year 2000 Falcons 29 Palms Junior High School Yearbook. Inside it says 1999-2000. Unknown donor as it was found by the Old Schoolhouse Museum's front door.
- DVD oral history interview of Phyllis Keys Miedell dated July 7, 2013. Donated by Morongo Basin Historical Society through Pat Rimmington.
There are times when an item has been given and the donor known, but we cannot archive them until we have a Gift Release Form with the donor’s signature and a witness’s signature. Without the signed releases we have no right to retain anything brought to the museum unless it was an anonymous gift. Our editors also insist on having the reports by a certain date. There may not have been sufficient time to complete all the necessary procedures. Our Accessions Committee wants to thank everyone who donated. Your generosity allows us to catalog and save the history of our area for future generations.
Please support our
Get Involved | Young Historian | Board of Directors | Research | O.S.H. Journal | School Tours | Events Calendar | Lectures | Weed ShowSM | Old Timers Gathering | Historic Sites | Hastie Bus | Generations | Homesteaders | Engraved Bricks | Displays | Gift Shop | Book Shop | President's Message | Museum Expansion | Articles | Photos | Links | Contact Us | Site Map
© 2008-2017 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved. Web hosting contributed by LazyPalm.com