Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
Accessions Report - Winter 2014by Marilyn Collier
The summer vacations are over and we have had a beautiful fall. By the time you receive this our winter weather will be with us. Your Accessions Committee at the Old Schoolhouse Museum knows that this is our busy season. The Old Timers Gathering was a resounding success. Our Weed Show drew all sorts of fans. The new mural brought more people to the museum. If you love history and our area, we could certainly use your computer skills or helping hand at the museum. Just stop by and see us on Wednesday morning. We can always find something that would interest you.
Any time you are involved with cleaning out the garage or storage area, please consider your museum. There may be something that relates to the history of our town, schools, or the people of our community. If you are not sure, bring it in on any Wednesday morning and we can tell you if it is something that the museum would need or like. Please don't throw away our history.
Researchers of Twentynine Palms history are welcome to visit us on Wednesday mornings as we are always at the Old Schoolhouse Museum Library. For those that live farther away, you are able to contact us through our website. The information on how to obtain research assistance is there. Requests by e-mail and regular mail are restricted to one or two specific area requests. A $20.00 donation is required by e-mail and regular mail requests. If you want to know what is happening at the Old Schoolhouse Museum or view the latest and oldest photograph visit: https://www.29palmshistorical.com.
- Large 25-3/4 x 25-3/4 inch round sign advertising High Desert Tract Homes Owners Association 29 Palms, California. It has cacti and palm tree on right, buildings at bottom. Donated by Omer "Les" Snodgrass.
- Women's black velvet hat, feathery ball on right side. The hat was worn in Pioneer Day's Parade. Donated by Diana Lyons from Lyon's Estate.
- Manual Royal typewriter T5014. It belonged to Prudie Underhill. Ann Congdon donated it to the August 23, 2014 Red Hot Auction. Nicole Painter won the bid and donated it to the museum.
- Flowers of the Southwest Deserts by Natt N. Dodge. Drawings by Jeanne R. Janish. Published by Southwest Monuments Association 1951.
- The Book of Wildflowers by numerous editors. Published by National Geographic Society, Washington, D.C. 1924.
- Wooden plaque of Spanish Bayonets by Walter Ketchum, a Park Ranger. He made for Henry Jones 1935.
- Copied photographs of Walter Ketchum, Ada, Ada T, and Elizabeth Hatch, Adelaide Arnold, Ann Jones Maier (at age two), and her father Henry Jones. Items four through seven donated by Ann Jones Maier.
- Brian Pomainville's green, metallic, rhinestone decorated Pioneer Day's Parade trousers.
- Light brown Western scarf with decorated metal tie pull.
- Dark brown Western scarf with branded leather pull.
- Pair of gold metallic boy's chaps with black sequined belt.
- Boy's homemade Western leather jacket.
- Hand tooled leather belt.
- Dark blue Western hat with 29 Palms Pony Express pins. Two green pins have 1971 on them; the two blue ones just the 29 Palms Pony Express.
- Predominately blue beaded hat band with the name Brian spelled out with beads.
- Brian Pomainville's green sequined Western hat.
- Brown Western Hat, light brown headband.
- Leather lead rein for a horse, bolt and hook still attached.
- Pair of Western spurs with star rowels.
- One child's size spur. The spur itself is a ball.
- Braided leather whip.
- Rope braided with latch. Usage unknown. Items 8 through 22 were donated by Judy Beltz.
- Metallic World Globe lamp and clock c.1950s. Directions on how to change bulb are on the bottom. Donated by Dana Bowden through Marilyn Fernald.
- Brass gas heater shaped like a miniature fireplace c.1940s, and the four elements that go with it. Donated by Robert Carter.
- Shell ALVANIA Grease 2. Never been opened. 71V02MZ09237B685P1 on lid.
- Solvent Shell Chemical Company complete with lid.
- Shell DONAX upper OIL CYLINDER 55810 Shell Oil Company.
- Five-gallon can with lid and funnel, Richfield Lubricants mfg. by Richfield Oil Company. All automotive cans donated by Kenny Duke for the Hastie Bus Exhibit building.
- The Desert Cookbook Twentynine Palms Women's Club, published 1945 (first book published in Twentynine Palms.) It has signatures. This was originally donated to the Twentynine Palms Artists Guild by Patrick J. McKew in 1986. Donated by the Twentynine Palms Artists Guild through Niki McBain.
- Puncturing can spout, Trade Mark Reg. U.S. Patent Office. The Hoffman Mfg. Co. 6001. Donated by Omer "Les" Snodgrass.
- David C. Steven's 1967 Twentynine Palms High School football jersey. It has number 84 on the cream shirt, trimmed with green and black. Donated by June Stevens.
- The National Geographic Magazine November 1957. A long article on the desert and its people. There is a picture of the Hatch daughters. Donated by Michael B. Phillips.
- Forty-three Arizona Highway magazines for sale in the Gift Shop.
- Four topographical maps: Toro Peak, CA 1981, Seven Palms, CA 1981, Desert Hot Springs, CA 1955, and Joshua Tree, CA 1972.
- Modern First Year Algebra by Webster Wells, SB and Walker W. Hart, AB. Published by D.C. Heath and Co. 1923. Items 33 through 35 donated by Wes Fish.
- Old carpenter's rabbit plane.
- Old carpenter's smoothing plane. Plane has bell symbol with 76 in the middle of the bell. The carpenter's planes were given by Tomas McBride.
There are times when an item has been given and the donor known, but we cannot archive them until we have a Gift Release Form with the donor’s signature and a witness’s signature. Without the signed releases we have no right to retain anything brought to the museum unless it was an anonymous gift. Our editors also insist on having the reports by a certain date. There may not have been sufficient time to complete all the necessary procedures. Our Accessions Committee wants to thank everyone who donated. Your generosity allows us to catalog and save the history of our area for future generations.
Please support our
Get Involved | Young Historian | Board of Directors | Research | O.S.H. Journal | School Tours | Events Calendar | Lectures | Weed ShowSM | Old Timers Gathering | Historic Sites | Hastie Bus | Generations | Homesteaders | Engraved Bricks | Displays | Gift Shop | President's Message | Articles | Photos | Links | Contact Us | Site Map
© 2008-2020 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved. Web hosting contributed by LazyPalm.com