Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
Accessions Report - Spring 2015by Marilyn Collier
Officially, winter is still with us, however the weather outside says that it is spring. Our Accessions Committee has a new helper. Sue Duke is learning the ropes of the Membership Chairperson. We are grateful for her enthusiasm. The rest of us are busy at our regular jobs.
Donations have slowed a bit, so remember us before you throw away something that may have been sitting in your closet or garage that pertains to an earlier time in Twentynine Palms. Give us a call if you are unsure whether to bring it in or not.
If you love history and our area, we could certainly use your computer skills or helping hand at the museum. Just stop by and see us on any Wednesday morning. We'll find something that you would love to do. Researchers of Twentynine Palms history are welcome to visit us on Wednesday mornings as we are always at the Old Schoolhouse Museum Library. For those who live farther away, you are able to contact us through our website. The information on how to obtain research assistance is there. Requests by e-mail and regular mail are restricted to one or two specific area requests. A $20.00 donation is required by the e-mail and regular mail requests.
- Framed 18"x15"U.S. Marine Corps Commandant of the Marine Corps Award presented to Marine Corps and Base, Twentynine Palms, CA 29 December 1964. Signed by Commandant U.S. Marine Corps. Anonymous donor.
- Twenty-seven Desert Magazines, various dates from August 1942 to March 1957 in a 12 ½"x 9 1/4" magazine holder.
- Twenty-seven Desert Magazines, various dates from June 1963 to July 1975 in 12 ½"x9 ¼" magazine holder. Both sets of magazines donated by Al and Marion Gartner.
- Booklet: By Laws of the Property Owners League of 29 Palms, 1939.
- Booklet: Desert Corral 29 Horse Show and Gymkhana.
- Flyer for 29 Palms Spa c.1960s. This was located on Bagdad Rd.
- Brochure: 29 Palms Board of Realtors Christmas 1978.
- Fan from Desert Nursery at the Plaza and an ashtray from Lyons Furniture. Items four through eight donated by Dianna Stevens.
- Armando's soup bowl (from local restaurant).
- Joshua Tree National Monument Campbell Collection T-shirt.
- Third Annual International Festival 29, 29 Palms, CA June 28, 1997 T-shirt.
- Southwest Museum Paper: An Archaeological Survey of the Twentynine Palms Region by Elizabeth Campbell. Published by the Southwest Museum Nov. 1931.
- Desert Diner Recipe Book by Officers' Wives Club. Published by Desert Printers Inc., 1958.
- Officers' Wives Cookbook 1975-76 Marine Base. Published Feb. 18, 1975.
- Brass Bell, Lions International Commemorative.
- Large Lions International sign. The square underneath says: Lions Meet Here 2nd & 4th Wed. 7:00.
- Newspapers, Hi-Desert magazines, newspaper clippings, Lions Club history, flyers and brochures of the area. Items 9 through 17 from Casey Schuyler Estate. Chris Gilbert, agent.
- Four El Oasis Year Books: 2002 through 2006. All signed by students. Donated by Karen Myers.
- Two Mildred Byrant books (the lady that used weeds to decorate the tables), Little Fugitives, a signed print and Morning Patterns, signed and dated 1936. Both donated by Mick Marsh.
- Homemade crazy quilt with matching crazy quilt pillow case and extra quilt block for the quilt.
- Three different quilt blocks.
- Two different quilt blocks for different quilts.
- Nine edging pieces for the quilt. These came with torn up paper with date of 1935.The quilt and related items from Alan Anthony Estate. Donated by Francisco and Veronica Roma.
- White three ring binder: Expansion Old Schoolhouse on front. Filled with photos taken by Bill Reifel.
- Quarterly San Bernardino Museum Volume XXX No. 4 summer of 1983. The 1980 report on the Black Canyon Project on the Mojave Desert.
- Brown with gold trim photo album of Old Schoolhouse Museum activities from October 2000 to January 2005.
- Black with gold trim photo album of Old Schoolhouse Museum activities from 1992 to early part of 2000.
- Red with gold trim photo album of Old Schoolhouse Museum activities from 2001 through 2005. This also includes photographs of Accessed items.
- Photographs of Old Schoolhouse Expansion construction.
- One copy each of Tales from Pill Hill, The Serrano Indians of Southern California and The Chemehuevi Indians of Southern California.
- A fifteen-cent map of the Desert Queen Ranch, published by the National Park Service 1975 for the 1976 Centennial. It has Bill Keys bio and information on the beginnings of human habitation in the area.
- Map of the area published by Pomona First Federal.
- Map of the area published by Custom Travel Service.
- The Oasis Story published by the Joshua Tree Natural History Association. Written by Conger Beasley, Jr.
- CD with photos of Willie Boy props, Dale photos, Old Schoolhouse move and more.
- 29 Palms General Plan Historic Cultural Archaeological Study Groups Results compiled by Lee Luke Pickering. She dedicated to Bill Reifel and signed.
- An Archaeological Survey of the 29 Palm Region No. 7 and No. 9. No 7 by Elizabeth Crozier Campbell in 1931 and No. 9 by Elizabeth Crozier Campbell and Bill Campbell in 1935. Items 24 through 37 donated by Doris Reifel from Bill Reifel Estate.
- Menu/Flyer for The House of Green Lights, 20 and 9 Coffee Shop and Cara Mia Gift Shop. Donated by John Steiner.
- Presentation Programs of Broadway Musicals and Music Dept. of 29 Palms High School from 1969 through 1970s. Donated by Jimmy Biggerstaff.
- March 26, 1989 edition of San Diego paper with article: 7,900 Marines and 29 Palms. Donated by Mary Leazer.
- Half-baked Desert Tales and Full-baked Desert Recipes, local authors, self-published by the Desert Writers Guild of 29 Palms 2014. Donated by the Desert Writers Guild through Marilyn Collier.
- DR Power equipment 48" Driveway Grader. Donated by Frank J. McDonald.
- Kelso Depot Historic Structure. Mojave National Preserve, Calif. Several contributing authors. Published Jan. 1998. Donated by James "Jim" Woolsey.
- Simi Dabah sculpture. Two huge rounds with small inside circles. Donated by Simi Dabah.
- 1950 El Oasis Year Book, signed by students and teachers.
- 1951 El Oasis Year Book, signed by students and teachers. Both year books donated by Mike Calvert.
There are times when an item has been given and the donor known, but we cannot archive them until we have a Gift Release Form with the donor’s signature and a witness’s signature. Without the signed releases we have no right to retain anything brought to the museum unless it was an anonymous gift. Our editors also insist on having the reports by a certain date. There may not have been sufficient time to complete all the necessary procedures. Our Accessions Committee wants to thank everyone who donated. Your generosity allows us to catalog and save the history of our area for future generations.
Please support our
Get Involved | Young Historian | Board of Directors | Research | O.S.H. Journal | School Tours | Events Calendar | Lectures | Weed ShowSM | Old Timers Gathering | Historic Sites | Hastie Bus | Generations | Homesteaders | Engraved Bricks | Displays | Gift Shop | President's Message | Articles | Photos | Links | Contact Us | Site Map
© 2008-2023 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved. Web hosting contributed by LazyPalm.com