Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
Accessions Report - Fall 2015by Marilyn Collier
The triple digit thermometer readings of summer have begun to wane. People are back for our busy fall season and the work of preserving the history of our area. It was a relief to see our President recover from his recent bout with pneumonia. Cheryl Erickson has had mini-trips. Nolan Lockwood has also been visiting far places.
It seems this was a busier summer quarter for donations. We thank each and every one who donated. It kept us all busy. Joni Franklin has volunteered to help in the archival process and is able to handle something if I should happen to be absent.
If you love history and our area, stop by and see us on Wednesday morning. We'll find something for you to do. Researchers of Twentynine Palms history are welcome to visit us on Wednesday mornings as we are always at the Old Schoolhouse Museum Library. For those that live farther away, you are able to contact us through our website. The information on how to obtain research assistance is there. Requests by e-mail and regular mail are restricted to one or two specific area requests. A $20 donation is required by the e-mail and regular mail requests. If you want to know what is happening at the Old Schoolhouse Museum or view the latest and oldest photographs visit: www.29palmshistorical.com
- Positive Living by Lou Gerhardt, signed and inscribed by Dr. Gerhardt, published by Magic Valley Publishers 2010.
- Richard Pars review of Positive Living and correspondence with Burke LeSage.
- Ghosts of Ide County by Kurt Schauppner, self published through LuLu.
- Eleven local business cards.
- Morongo Basin 'There's More to Explore.' flyer.
- CD NuWu Resort and RV Park Community Presentation.
- CD Willis Keyes Photo Collection.
- Morongo Basin Economic Partnership CD c.2005. All items through 8 donated by Jimmy Biggerstaff.
- Images of America-Joshua Tree National Park by Joseph Zarki, inscribed to the 29 Palms Historical Society Research Library and signed by author. Donated by Joseph Zarki.
- History of Land Use in Joshua Tree National Monument. Vol.1 and 2 by Linda Green 1983.
- Copied History of Joshua Tree National Monument by Samuel King 1954.
- Desert Spotlight April 1947. Last three items donated by Al and Marion Gartner.
- Palmer Method Pin awarded to Dick Moran (date unknown). Donated by Omer "Les" Snodgrass.
- 2013 El Oasis Yearbook Volume 50. Donated by Chris Frasher.
- Wooden Office Chair with rollers. It belonged to Claude Foglestsom. Donated by Robin Lucia.
- Artifacts and collection of items from the Joan Valerie estate included photographs of movie stars and local people.
- Letter from President Ronald Reagan 1981.
- Her artwork of a butterfly.
- 1968 calendar with her notations.
- American Federation of Radio Artist Manual, published Feb. 3, 1942.
- Little Day water color.
- Two biographs (written on paper)
- Christmas card from White House. Signed Ron and Nancy. This was when they resided there.
- Life scrapbook: Contains photos, newspaper clips, correspondence, etc.
- Playbill of daughter Jo Ellen Cain's appearance in the Tumble Weed Theater.
- Treasure of Living Art published 1969 by Orangewood Press.
- Picture of her works at an art exhibit.
- Oil painting of butterfly on hollyhocks.
- Sponsorship for Chorodrama presented by Paris Mestusie and wife Joan Valerie. No date.
- Photo copy of Marilyn Monroe and a written explanation of their friendship.
- Photograph of her with several movie stars.
- Two Artist Guild Programs.
- Two cigarettes ads featuring Joan Valerie as the model in the ad. The Valerie Estate items donated by Mark Spangenberg.
- Terry Waite artwork of Saguaro cactus set on horseshoe shaped base that is 14-3/4 in. Three metal fringed trees are also on base. This was given to Marilyn Fernald by Chuck Bell to donate to us.
- Wool pendant: Basketball Tournament c.1960. Donated by Ken DeWitt.
- 1968 Pioneer Days Longest Beard Trophy awarded to Terry Schuyler 1968. Donated by Chris Gilbert.
- Tails from Pill Hill by Jean Crowl.
- Hilton sings LP record.
- One-half box of note cards, Death Valley Map, photo Denny's Summit.
- Magazines: Two Arizona Highways, two Grand Canyon, one Death Valley, 26 Desert magazines, five Old Stuff, and four Twentynine Palms telephone directories.
- 1962 Grub Stakes (annual).
- 29 Palms Marine Corp Base publication.
- Twentynine Palms folders, maps, human interest newspaper clippings and articles, several photos.
- Personnel Directory for Morongo Unified School District. Items 36 through 44 donated by Chris Gilbert through Cheryl Erickson.
- Two bound volumes: Index for the Desert Magazine, published by Neal Samson, Riverside, California, July 2007. Donated by Morongo Basin Historical Society, Stu Hanson, agent.
- Flash drive containing images of Dale Mining Region from 1911-1995 and strap for flash drive. Donated by Paul Smith.
- Rosette crystal.
- Large flat rock covered with white crystals.
- Native American stone bowl with pestle.
- Large Coral circle.
- Split rock with leaf fossil inside.
- Medera Rose. Items 47 through 52 from Barbara Grether's collection.
- Old pottery vase from Bob Lear's homestead. Items 47 through 53 donated by Ann Lear. She stated that she remembered the vase from the 1930s when she visited Uncle Bob.
- Silver button hook c.1900. Donated by Melodie Allen.
Please support our
Get Involved | Young Historian | Board of Directors | Research | O.S.H. Journal | School Tours | Events Calendar | Lectures | Weed ShowSM | Old Timers Gathering | Historic Sites | Hastie Bus | Generations | Homesteaders | Engraved Bricks | Displays | Gift Shop | President's Message | Articles | Photos | Links | Contact Us | Site Map
© 2008-2023 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved. Web hosting contributed by LazyPalm.com