Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
Accessions Report - Winter 2015by Marilyn Collier
The Weed Show and the Christmas decorations have not started at the time this was due at the Editor's desk. Our busy fall and winter seasons have arrived. The work of preserving the history of our area still continues. Pat Rimminton had lectures to deliver and Marilyn Fernald worked to have all the items for the Weed Show available.
Donations have been steady, but not overwhelming. Joni Franklin and I have been able to keep up with them. We thank each and every one who thought of us and donated to the Twentynine Palms Historical Society rather than through the items in a trash bin. If you aren't sure that we would want your items, please bring them by on Wednesday morning or give us a call.
If you love history and our area, and wish to help in the preservation of our history stop by and see us on Wednesday morning. We'll find something that for you to do. Researchers of Twentynine Palms or Morongo Basin history are welcome to visit us on Wednesday mornings as we are always at the Old Schoolhouse Museum Library. For those that live farther away, you are able to contact us through our website. The information on how to obtain research assistance is there. Requests by e-mail and regular mail are restricted to one or two specific area requests. A $20.00 donation is required by the e-mail and regular mail requests. If you want to know what is happening at the Old Schoolhouse Museum or view the latest and oldest photographs visit: 29PalmsHistorical.com.
- Five wooden nickels: Indian head on front and back. Good for one drink at Batnett's Peacock Lounge, Wonder Valley. Donated by Pat Rimmington.
- Miscellaneous slides, photographs, and negatives of people and the area.
- CD containing photographs or city businesses and the and the Old Schoolhouse Museum.
- Slides of city murals, Old Schoolhouse Museum, and other events.
- Plaque: California Cities, Helen Putman Award. Golden brass plates on walnut.
- Blue and gold award December 1987 from California Contact Cities Association for City and inaugural Twentynine Palms City Council.
- Award: Floyd Tidwell, Sheriff San Bernardino County for new incorporation, badge and California outline. City of Twentynine Palms represented by brass. 1998.
- Green metal plate dated November 23, 1987, presented November 27, 1990 in honor of first City Council.
- Walnut plaque from County of San Bernardino with emblem arrow. Congratulations November 24m 1882,
- Plaque from City of Big Bear Lake, December 2, 1987. Congratulates City of Twentynine Palms for incorporating.
- 2007 Development Program Award of Merit May 1, 2008. Blue Plastic on white plastic plaque.
- Walnut plaque from City of Yucca Valley November 23, 1997. Congratulations for ten successful years. Items 2 through 12 donated by Dana Bowden.
- El Oasis Yearbook 3014,
- LP album: A High Desert Christmas 1973 Twentynine Palms Choral Music Department. Russ Enloe Mobile Recording.
- LP album: The Modern Madrigal Singers, Twentyning Palms High School, Steven Rundquist, Director. Last three items donated by Jimmy Biggerstaff.
- Oil painting of Thomas Stonecipher home, 10X19 5/8 and wood frame is 24-1/3 X 20-1/2 inches. The home is located on Raymond and Bullion. Donated by Dorothy Eisemann.
- The Jungle and Survival Handbook H &S Bn. FMF Pac
- Handbook for U. S. Forces in Vietnam. Armed Forces information and education. Department of Defense. Forward by General W.C. Westmoreland.
- Combat Handbook. H & S Bn. FMF Pac.
- Reel to reel tape of TPHS Speech, English, Office, Trig. Dated 4-26.
- Panasonic reel to reel TPHS Auto transmission, lecture, Sugar & Spice, 4-14-72.
- Panasonic reel to reel TPHS Senior Social Studies, Class discussion 4-26.
- Panasonic reel to reel Carousel Sat. N-16 hours 5/19/73 Tape 1
- Panasonic reel to reel tape three carrousel but is practice 5/19/73.
- Sony video tape reel to reel Chorus Collection Vol. I Country Music 4-19-82. Items 17 through 25 donated by Jimmy Biggestaff.
- Advertising match book put out by Underhill Advertising Specialists. Donated by Omer "Les" Snodgrass.
- Twentynine Palms Root Beer bottle. It is capped and full.
- Broquieres Favorite Visitor Huell Howser "California Gold" milk bottle. Some red printing and still has red cap.
- Pill box from Kenney's Drug Store. The dryer protection for the pills is still in the box. The top has an explanation why the protection is necessary. Donated by Donna Remond through Kelly M. O'Sullivan.
- Girl Scout Manuel published 1922. Donated by Jimmy Biggerstaff.
- Edmund Jr. #5 metal puncher can opener. It has April 21, March 12, June 18, 1929 embossed on metal part, green wooden handle and "cap." Donated by Robert Carter.
- Gene Beebe Scrapbook containing pictures of her time in Twentynine Palms.
- Loose pictures, correspondence, and newspaper clippings from Gene Beebe estate. Last two items donated by Marcia Pealstrom.
- Framed campaign flyer with picture of Ed "Big Ed" Kenney. Donated by Carol Barrett.
- Dick Moran's painting and attached newspaper account of 1972 Old Woman Rd. meteorite. Donated by Tom Moran through Robert Wallace.
Last assessment done on October 21, 2015. There are times when an item has been given and the donor known, but we cannot archive them until we have a Gift Release Form with the donor's signature and a witness's signature. Without the signed releases we have no right to retain anything brought to the museum unless it was an anonymous gift. Our Editors also insist on having the reports by a certain date. There may not have been sufficient time to complete all the necessary procedures. Our Accessions Committee wants to thank everyone who donated. Your generosity allows us to catalog and save the history of our area for future generations.
Please support our
Get Involved | Young Historian | Board of Directors | Research | O.S.H. Journal | School Tours | Events Calendar | Lectures | Weed ShowSM | Old Timers Gathering | Historic Sites | Hastie Bus | Generations | Homesteaders | Engraved Bricks | Displays | Gift Shop | President's Message | Articles | Photos | Links | Contact Us | Site Map
© 2008-2020 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved. Web hosting contributed by LazyPalm.com