Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
Accessions Report - Winter 2017by Marilyn Collier
General Membership meeting and the Volunteers Reception were held on November 18, 2017. Thanks to all who were there. It was great to visit with everyone.
Deanne Chatteron has returned and is once again busy entering items into the computer base. Rosalee Mendoza still has hundreds and hundreds of old negatives to scan. Marilyn Fernald and sometimes Pat Rimmington and Sue McMahan try to identify some of our earlier townspeople.
Marilyn Fernald and Dana Bowden had a special exhibit for the Art Tour this year and have now changed it to a winter one that honors one of our local heroines. Do drop by and have a look.
The rest of us continue at the chores that are always there. We do want you to know how grateful we are for all the items donated since our last issue. Many took advantage of Pioneer Days and the Old Timers Gathering to bring in items from and earlier time.
All researchers studying the history of Twentynine Palms or the Morongo Basin history are welcome to visit us on Wednesday mornings from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon as we are always at the Old Schoolhouse Museum Library. For those that live farther away, you are able to contact us through our website. The information on how to obtain research assistance is there. Requests by e-mail and regular mail are restricted to one or two specific area requests. A $20.00 donation is required by the e-mail and regular mail requests. If you want to know what is happening at the Old Schoolhouse Museum or view the latest and oldest photographs visit: http://29palmshistorical.com/.
- A tee-shirt: Stephens Memorial 12/25 Mile Charity Walk. Red wings are on both sides of 12/25. The numbers are also in red. Donated by Omer "Les" Snodgrass. He wore the shirt during the 2000 walk.
- Memories: Memories of Twentynine Palms 1938-1950. The thirty-four pages include copies of houses, classes, scenes from around the area, etc. Also a newspaper photo of Dr. Edward Smith and wife. Donated by Philip Smith, Jr. PhD.GTS, FSA Scot, Professor Emeritus of Languages and Linguistics, West Chester University of Pennsylvania.
- 29 Palms Chamber of Commerce Women Pioneers Tee-shirt. 80th Annual Pioneer Days 2016. There is a black figure of a Pioneer woman on the back. The front has 29 Palms with the Palm Tree Logo. That is circled by the words Headquarters of Joshua Tree Nations Park and Home of Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center. The Chamber was giving these away free at the Pioneer Days Kick Off for 2017. Donated by Omer "Les" Snodgrass.
- Complete digital copies of The Observer from 1957. #1 through 2016.
- Marine Air Ground Task Force Training Command Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center 65th Anniversary publication.
- Five Through the Lens Innovate, Adapt, Win 2016 Flyers.
- Johnson Valley Shared User Area Poster.
- Special Use Air Space Poster. The Marine Corps items donated by Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center.
- Oil painting: Miner, mules and Arrastra. It shows how ore was broke down. The painting by Robert Ludwig, brother of Verne Ludwig. This has been hanging in the main exhibit room without an Accessions number.
- Box of slides of different Pioneer Days Parades.
- CD of the slides and other events during Pioneer Days. Possibly the 1950s. The last two items donated by Steve Reyes,
- Pioneer Town Gazette Volume 1, No. 1 Monday August 18, 1947. Lynn C. Thomas, Publisher.
- 8 x 10" Enlargement of Harlow Jones Post Card from 1943.
- Three duplicate copies of Desert Trail: September 12. 1047, March 5, 1948, March 12, 1948. Desert Trail and previous two items donated by Bob and Paula Berg through Molly Vermette.
- 9 5/12" ceramic eagle by Howard Pierce. It is signed and dated 1985 on bottom. Anonymous donor.
- Karen Brody Collection: Miss 29 Palms Collection. Collette Luke 1976 Miss 29 Palms picture, Desert Trail, April 14, 1977 Miss 29 Palms Candidates. Photo copies of Miss 29 Palms Winners and courts.
- 54th Annual Miss 29 Palms Scholarship Presents Mural Art Our Desert Rose 2001 Program. Photographs and negatives of the event over the years. Most were taken at the Campbell House.
- Photographs of the candidates on the 29 Palms High School Football Field.
- Four small Miss 29 Palms' Programs.
- Desert Trail issues and clippings. All the Karen Brodie Collection and Miss 29 Palms items donated by Karen Brodie.
- Black feather hand fan with tortoise shell bone stays. Possibly from a bordello. Donated by Robert Carter.
- Award for Surviving Rigors 1965
- Award for "Cannon locker" 1965.
- DVD Winter Warfare
- MCB 29 Welcome Aboard Packet from February 1975. This contains Base Layout, Desert Stage Lines Schedule and small maps showing locations and mileage to them and other cities. (This packet was sent to Ms. Kelly O'Sullivan by Donald D. Domel.)
- The High Desert Salutes Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Base. Published by F. H. Bradbury.
- 1980 29 Palms Home of the Combined Arms Exercise Director and Welcome
- United States Marine Corps 2007 Edition
- U. S. Marines in Iraq 2004-2008 Anthology and Annotated Bibliography. Published by History Division U. S. Marine Corps 2010.
- U. S. Marines in Iraq 2004-2005 Into The Fray. Published by History Division U. S. Marine Corps 2011. Items 22 through 30 all donated by Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center.
- 16-1/2" x 13-1/4" Warm Morning at Cadiz Photograph by Charles L. Teel with biography. Photo matted and framed in 20" x 24-1/4" black frame. Donated by Sue McMahan.
- 1960 El Oasis Year Book
- 1961 El Oasis Year Book
- 1962 El Oasis Year Book
- 1963 El Oasis Year Book. All were signed by owner and all have inscriptions from fellow students.
- Photographs of Tom Cobb from childhood through high school. Yearbooks and photographs donated by Arron Cobb.
- Playing cards from Tortoise Rock Casino. Used on 12-18-16. These were passed out free during Pioneer Day Parade and donated by a spectator.
- Verne Gillespie floral painting 14-1/2" x 11" in 20" x 17" frame. Donated by Debbie Sauers through Sue McMahan.
- Yellow Flyer for 5 Acre Tract Cabin Kits. Says outhouses too!
- Pink flyer for 1-1/4 - 2-1/2 - 5 Acre Tract Cabin Kits. Also says Outhouses too! Both flyers donated by Jim Krushat.
- Black case for Telephone Set TA-1/PT
- Telephone Set TA-1/PT Serial No. 02754A Contr. No DAAB06-81-C-0539 Star Dynamic Corp. Part No. SM-D-189372 U. S. Sound Power. Case and Telephone set donated by Omer "Les" Snodgrass.
- Vol. 1 Number 8 August 1995 Sun Runner Magazine
- 29 Palms Profile and Pictorial 1980/81 Sponsored by 29 Palms Chamber of Commerce.
- Three Desert Trail Newspapers June 7, 1956, June 6, 1957, and November 20, 1963. Last three items donated by Kim Ortamond.
- Round Up Room Menu. Donated by Anna Gross.
- Southwest Museum Papers Number 9, The Pinto Basin Site by Elizabeth W. Crozer Campbell and William H. Campbell. Published by Southwest Museum March 1935.
- Southwest Museum Papers Number Eleven The Archeology of Pleistocene Lake Mohave (No Covers) A Symposium by Elizabeth W. Crozer Campbell, William H. Campbell, Ernst Antevs, Charles Avery Amsden, Joseph A. Barbieri, and Francis D. Bode June 1937. Last to items donated by Ann M. Congdon.
- Wooden clothes dryer. Wooden rounds fold down around the base. Donated by Robert Carter.
- 29 Palms Red Fire Department Helmet. Donated by Michel Figliolia.
- Petroglyph Replica made by an eleven year-old boy. There is an explanation of why this was donated by Anita June Mercy.
- Two Location Notices for mining: One is for a quartz claim and one is for a placer claim. Donated by Joe Savago.
- Thirty-two photographs of early Twentynine Palms, some of Pioneer Days, some are just buildings, and others are of prominent people.
- Desert Trail Newspapers dating from 1946 and a huge collection of newspaper articles and clippings.
- Five first place Purple Ribbons: 1953 29 Palms Pioneer Days for Junior Rider won by then thirteen-year-old Susan Ince. 1954 First place Purple ribbon for 17th Annual 29 Palms Pioneer Days. 1958 First Award purple ribbon from 29 Palms Pioneer Days, October 17, 1958. Equestrian Trails first place purple ribbon. It has ETI on front 1973 29 Palms Novice won by Susan Ince-Bise. ETI first place purple ribbon. It has 29 Palms 1973 on front. On back it looks like someone wrote the name of Ricky Bise. Items 53 through 55 from Susan Ince-Bise Estate through Greg Mendoza.
- Two memorial programs for Fredrick Noel. One from the Marine base dated January 27, 2006. The other from Immanuel Prince of Peace Lutheran Church dated November 18, 2006. Donated by Ann Congdon.
There are times when an item has been given and the donor known, but we cannot archive them until we have a Gift Release Form with the donor's signature and a witness's signature. Without the signed releases we have no right to retain anything brought to the museum unless it was an anonymous gift. I have donation from a prominent member of our community that I could not include. I haven't neglected it. I'm just waiting for the signed paper. Our Editors also insist on having the reports by a certain date. There may not have been sufficient time to complete all the necessary procedures. Our Accessions Committee wants to thank everyone who donated. Your generosity allows us to catalog and save the history of our area for future generations.
Please support our
Get Involved | Young Historian | Board of Directors | Research | O.S.H. Journal | School Tours | Events Calendar | Lectures | Weed ShowSM | Old Timers Gathering | Historic Sites | Hastie Bus | Generations | Homesteaders | Engraved Bricks | Displays | Gift Shop | President's Message | Museum Expansion | Articles | Photos | Links | Contact Us |
© 2008-2019 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved. Web hosting contributed by LazyPalm.com