Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
29 Palms Public Cemetery
In 1933 William "Bill" Lage , an ailing WW1 veteran who came to Twentynine Palms in hopes of improving his health, foresaw a very practical personal and community need for a cemetery in Twentynine Palms. He initiated discussions with some of his American Legion "buddies." Those initial talks led to a meeting of county officials, the local Chamber of Commerce and other citizens at the Legion Cafe in November to discuss plans for providing a community cemetery. As a result of that meeting a petition requesting that the County Board of Supervisors authorize the creation of the Twentynine Palms Cemetery District was circulated. Fifty-two signatures were obtained and, on 22 January 1934 it was filed with the county. The cemetery became a Public Cemetery District by resolution of the County Board of Supervisors on 19 February 1934.
On 1 March 1934 the 20 acres of land previously donated by Bill Lage was deeded to the Cemetery District.
The District originally included most of the Morongo Basin. However, on 16 March 1936 the Board of Supervisors authorized the release of the west ten townships from the District.
The Twentynine Palms Cemetery District is a self governed special district of San Bernardino County. A five member board of trustees, appointed by the San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors, on recommendation of the local board, governs the Cemetery District and thus, establishes policy for the cemetery.
The cemetery is located at 5350 Encelia Avenue in the City of Twentynine Palms, California and now has over 3977 residents and covers 30 acres, 20 of which are developed.
Frances Lage Memorial Rose Garden
Graveside service for Anna Falderman - September 1940
Grave is in section 6.
Area of Anna Falderman's grave - December 2013
Please support our
Get Involved | Young Historian | Board of Directors | Research | O.S.H. Journal | School Tours | Events Calendar | Lectures | Weed ShowSM | Old Timers Gathering | Historic Sites | Hastie Bus | Generations | Homesteaders | Engraved Bricks | Displays | Gift Shop | Book Shop | President's Message | Museum Expansion | Articles | Photos | Links | Contact Us | Site Map
© 2008-2017 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved. Web hosting contributed by LazyPalm.com