Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
This adobe was originally built in 1933 by Gerald Charlton, a landscape architect from British Columbia. The Stubbs brothers were the primary contractors, molding most of the adobe bricks and pouring the foundation. They also assisted with the doors, casements and various nooks and crannies.
Charlton called the Adobe "La Querencia," which is that part of the bullring to which a bull retreats before making his last stand.
From 1956 to 1963 the adobe was used as the art gallery for the Twentynine Palms Artists Guild.
In 1967, Charlton married Irene Zimmers, widow of Phil Zimmers and a noted water color painter and teacher. Just four years later Gerald died. Irene made her home at the adobe until her death in 1997 at the age of 95.
After Irene's death the adobe passed into the hands of Jane Smith who has preserved it and made it a part of the Twentynine Palms Inn.
For more information about this and other adobe buildngs in Twentynine Palms see Pat Rimmington's The Adobes of Twentynine Palms available in our gift shop or from the author.
Please support our
Get Involved | Young Historian | Board of Directors | Research | O.S.H. Journal | School Tours | Events Calendar | Lectures | Weed ShowSM | Old Timers Gathering | Historic Sites | Hastie Bus | Generations | Homesteaders | Engraved Bricks | Displays | Gift Shop | President's Message | Articles | Photos | Links | Contact Us | Site Map
© 2008-2023 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved. Web hosting contributed by LazyPalm.com