Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
The need for a central area with spaces for various county and state offices and a library was first recognized in Twentynine Palms pioneer days. As early as March 1933 the "Out Post," the newspaper of the local American Legion, stated: "Land has been offered as a site for a Community Hall, centrally located. It is now up to us, as a community, to get the building. We need it." However, the fiscal realities of the depression and World War II precluded doing anything more than dreaming and planning. In June 1945 the Chamber of Commerce formally stated the need and appointed a committee to investigate ways to make it happen. That same year local developers agreed to donate land for construction of a Civic Center. A site on Adobe Road halfway between Four Corners and the Plaza was set aside for the location of an extensive Civic Center, plans for which had been prepared by a group of enterprising civic-minded men organized as the 29 Palms Community Development Association, Inc., originally composed of Frank Bagley, William B. Hatch, Jr., Edward J. Kenney, Harris G. Sherman, Leonard P. Wikoff, C. C. Fitzgerald and Culbert W. Faries.
After many bumps and false starts a bond issue was passed in 1956 and construction of a County Administration building and branch County Library began in late 1958. On January 31, 1959, a solemn and impressive cornerstone laying ceremony was held under the auspices of the Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of California, with the Grand Master presiding. In this cornerstone were placed the archives of the areas past history for future generations to read and imagine the growing pains of Twentynine Palms.
When completed the 7780 square foot administration building held a Sheriffs Office, Highway Patrol station, courtroom and judges chambers, deputy accessors offices, buildind district supervisor, county nurse, and health inspector. To the north of the administration building was a 2200 square foot library building.
Civic Center administration building - now City Hall
When the new county government center in Joshua Tree was completed in ______ the county moved its various offices out of the Civic Center administration building and considered selling the building. .......
After the City of Twentynine Palms was incorporated on November 23, 1987....
Please support our
Get Involved | Young Historian | Board of Directors | Research | O.S.H. Journal | School Tours | Events Calendar | Lectures | Weed ShowSM | Old Timers Gathering | Historic Sites | Hastie Bus | Generations | Homesteaders | Engraved Bricks | Displays | Gift Shop | President's Message | Articles | Photos | Links | Contact Us | Site Map
© 2008-2020 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved. Web hosting contributed by LazyPalm.com