Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
29 Palms Annual Weed Show
November 7 and 8, 2009
This year's Weed Show Committee; Lore Bergey, Sharon Costa, Marilyn Fernald, Velma Holland and Pat Rimmington; met in April for a brain-storming session to come up with a theme. It was long time, prize winning "weeder", Velma Holland, who suggested the title. The rest of the committee agreed Velma had indeed come up with an excellent idea as it would relate to another Morongo Basin project of the same name, under way in Twentynine Palms.
That other project's goal is to build an observatory and nature center. Historical Society members know what it is like to have an "impossible dream". We did, when we believed that we could buy land, move and refurbish the original schoolhouse and make it our permanent museum. In recognition of our fellow dreamers and all their volunteers (what would we do without them?) the theme for the 2009 Weed Show is "SKY'S THE LIMIT".
The Sky's the Limit observatory project had its ground-breaking ceremony in September of 2007. We wish them continuing success. Likewise we wish success to all the competitors who enter this annual weed show event. Be sure to read the rules carefully as there have been some changes made.
Last year we had 154 entries and this year we would like to see even more. We want you to encourage all to participate. Its surprising how many local residents have never seen a Weed Show despite its being advertised in the local media. Word of mouth is a powerful tool, so please spread the word about this traditional competition unique to Twentynine Palms.
HOW TO ENTER THE 2009 WEED SHOW
As mentioned earlier we have made some changes to the rules so please read them carefuly.
The rules are really quite simple, but if you have any questions please contact the committee member at the telephone number or email address listed below.
1. You may enter as many categories as you wish but submit ONE entry per category.
2. Class 1 is an ARRANGEMENT which uses ONLY fresh plant material, not necessarily native plants.
3. All other classes are COMPOSITIONS which may include fresh desert plant material together with a dried plant in its natural state, that is, not varnished or painted. A composition can also use dried plants exclusively. All compositions MUST include dried plants. It is a Weed Show after all.
4. Each entry must have an accessory to fit the category, i.e. mining item, purple glass, etc.
5. Only natural adhesives may be used to hold the entry together, i.e. clay, sand, sap, etc. (that means no hot glue, oasis foam, concrete, etc.) YOUR ENTRY MUST BE STABLE AND NOT VULNERABLE TO COLLAPSE.
6. NO ARTIFICIAL PLANTS ARE ALLOWED.
7. The base used for your entry must be solid enough to permit handling by a committee member. Only a committee member will be allowed to reposition a display. Construction paper or mat board may be used to compliment your entry.
8. Due to limited space in the museum, the maximum size for indoor entries is 20"x16"x24", with a maximum weight limit of 10 pounds. Larger or heavier entries will automatically be staged outside and will be unattended. Each outside entry must be strong enough to withstand wind and weather.
9. Class 11 is ONLY for children ages 12 years and under. A youngster may enter any other class and will be judged with the adults.
10. Entries must be brought to the museum between the hours of 4:00 and 6:30 p.m. on Friday, November 6 or Saturday, November 7 from 7:00 to 9:30 a.m. NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED. Judging is from 9:30 a.m. to noon on Saturday.
The Weed Show is open to the public from noon to 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, November 7 and 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Sunday, November 8.
Entries must be picked up between 4:00 and 5:00 p.m. Sunday, November 8.
The Twentynine Palms Historical Society is not responsible for loss, damage or unclaimed entries.
Please forward this page to any folks you may know who might be interested in attending or entering the weed show. All are welcome. Any questions? please send email to email@example.com, or call 760-362-4201. Thank you.
Please support our
Get Involved | Young Historian | Board of Directors | Research | O.S.H. Journal | School Tours | Events Calendar | Lectures | Weed ShowSM | Old Timers Gathering | Historic Sites | Hastie Bus | Generations | Homesteaders | Engraved Bricks | Displays | Gift Shop | Book Shop | President's Message | Museum Expansion | Articles | Photos | Links | Contact Us | Site Map
© 2008-2017 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved. Web hosting contributed by LazyPalm.com