Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
29 Palms Annual Weed Show
November 5 and 6, 2011
Carol Reid with her entry that won the 2010 People's Choice award.
The Twentynine Palms Historical Society will host its annual "Weed Show" on
November 5 and 6, 2011 at the Old Schoolhouse Museum. It is open to the public (free of charge) from noon
to 4 p.m. on Saturday (November 5) and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday (November 6).
In honor of Joshua Tree National Park's 75th Anniversary, this year's committee chose the
theme MINERVA'S MUSE for this year's show. Each category commemorates a portion of the Joshua Tree National Park.
Last year we had 150 entries and over 500 visitors and this year we would like to see even more. We
want you to encourage all to participate. It's surprising how many local residents have never seen a Weed Show, despite
its being advertised in the local media. Word of mouth is a powerful tool, so please spread the word about this traditional
competition unique to Twentynine Palms.
2011 WEED SHOW CATEGORIES
Theme – MINERVA'S MUSE
1. INSPIRATION PEAK
Purple Glass - Arrangement using Museum Quality glass as accessory
2. SPLIT ROCK
Broken Purple Glass
3. BARKER DAM
Composition honoring wildlife found in the area.
4. TWIN TANKS
Composition with at least two matching items as accessories.
5. BELLY FLOWERS
Miniatures - 4"x4"x4" overall size composition.
6. GEOLOGY TOUR ROAD
Composition using a rock or rocks as an accessory.
7. KEY'S RANCH
Composition showing new uses for old things.
8. PORCUPINE WASH
Composition using something spiky or prickly as an accessory.
9. LOST PALMS
Composition using a palm as an accessory.
10. MASTODON PEAK
Oversize composition to be staged outside. (Any entry which exceeds the length, width, height, or weight limitations set out in the rules are placed outside.)
For children 12 years old and under. Something related to camping.
HOW TO ENTER THE 2011 WEED SHOW
Please read the rules carefully. There are some changes from previous years.
The rules are really quite simple, but if you have any questions please contact the committee member at the
telephone number or email address listed below.
1. Enter as many categories as you wish but only ONE entry per category.
2. All compositions MUST include dried desert plants; it is a weed show after all.
3. Each entry MUST have an accessory to fit the category, i.e., purple glass, native rock,
something spiky, etc.
4. Only natural adhesives may be used to hold the entry together, i.e. clay, sand, sap, etc.
(that means no hot glue, oasis foam, concrete, etc.)
5. No artificial plants are allowed.
6. Your entry must be solid and stable enough to permit handling by a committee member. Only
committee members will be allowed to reposition a display. Construction paper or mat board may be used to
complement your entry.
7. Due to limited space in the museum, the maximum size for indoor entries is 20"x16"x24" (in
any combination) with a maximum weight limit of 10 lbs. Larger or heavier entries will automatically be staged
outside and will be unattended. Each outside entry must be strong enough to withstand wind and weather.
8. Category 1 is an ARRANGEMENT which uses ONLY fresh plant material, not necessarily native
9. All other categories are COMPOSITIONS which may include fresh desert plant material together
with a dried desert plant in its natural state, that is, not varnished or painted. A composition can also use
dried desert plants exclusively.
10. Category 11 is ONLY for children 12 years of age and under. Entries must conform with
general rules. Children may enter any other category but will be judged with the adults.
11. Entries must be brought to the museum between the hours of 4:00 and 6:30 p.m. on Friday,
November 4 or Saturday, November 5 from 7:00 to 9:00 a.m. NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED. Everything must be
assembled and completed by 9:15 a.m. NO EXCEPTIONS. Judging is from 9:30 a.m. to noon on Saturday.
12. Entries must be picked up between 4:00 and 5 p.m. Sunday, November 6.
The Weed Show is open to the public from noon to 4:00 p.m. on Saturday and 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The Twentynine Palms Historical Society is not responsible for loss, damage, or unclaimed
Please forward this page to any folks you may know who might be interested in attending or entering the weed show.
All are welcome.
Any questions? Please send email to
or call 760-362-4097.
Click on the image above to download and print a brochure with the rules and categories.
Click on the image above to download and print a poster.
© 2008-2019 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved.
Web hosting contributed by