Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
29 Palms Annual Weed Show
November 3 and 4, 2012
The Twentynine Palms Historical Society will host its annual "Weed Show" on November 3 and 4, 2012 at the Old Schoolhouse Museum. It is open to the public (free of charge) from noon to 4 p.m. on Saturday (November 3rd) and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday (November 4th).
Music has played a vital part of our species' lives since we first came into existence. We all have songs that trigger memories and emotions. Songs that throw you right back to the moment you first heard it. Music that calls to you just as the beauty of our Twentynine Palms desert sings to your soul. Our desert and music, a tight bond nothing can break.
This year Twentynine Palms Historical Society's Weed Show Committee decided to have a little fun, creating a theme and categories that might invoke laughter, perhaps tears, stir memories, and, above all, awaken your creativity for the perfect entry.
The Twentynine Palms Historical Society's 2012 Weed Show Committee is pleased to present:
2012 WEED SHOW CATEGORIES
1. The Lady From Twentynine Palms
2. Purple Haze
3. It's A Small World
4. Tiny Dancer
5. Time In A Bottle
6. Music of the Night
7. It's Not Easy Being Green
8. Blue Suede Shoes
9. Feel The Heat of My Desert Heart (Twentynine Palms)
10. Funky Town
11. Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
HOW TO ENTER THE 2012 WEED SHOW
Please read the rules carefully. There are some changes from previous years.
The rules are really quite simple, but if you have any questions please contact the committee member at the telephone number or email address listed below.
1. Enter as many categories as you wish but you can only have ONE entry per category.
2. All compositions MUST include dried desert plants; it is a weed show after all.
3. Each entry MUST have an accessory to fit the category, as indicated in the category descriptions.
4. Only natural adhesives may be used to hold the entry together, i.e., clay, sand, sap, etc. (that means no hot glue, oasis foam, mortar, grout, etc.)
5. No artificial plants are allowed. No live critters are allowed.
6. Your entry must be solid and stable enough to permit handling by a committee member. Only committee members will be allowed to reposition a display. Construction paper or mat board may be used to complement your entry.
7. Due to limited space in the museum, the maximum size for indoor entries is 20”x16” and no more than 24” high with a maximum weight limit of 10 lbs. Larger or heavier entries will automatically be staged outside and will be unattended. Each outside entry must be strong enough to withstand wind and weather.
8. Category 1 is an ARRANGEMENT which uses ONLY fresh plant material, not necessarily native plants.
9. All other categories are COMPOSITIONS which may include fresh desert plant material together with a dried desert plant in its natural state, that is, not varnished or painted. A composition can also use dried desert plants exclusively.
10. Category 11 is ONLY for children 12 years of age and under. Entries must conform with general rules. Children may enter any other category but will be judged with the adults.
11. Entries must be brought to the museum between the hours of 4:00 and 6:30 p.m. on Friday, November 2 or Saturday, November 3 from 7:00 to 9:00 a.m. NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED. Everything must be assembled and completed by 9:15 a.m. NO EXCEPTIONS. Judging is from 9:30 a.m. to noon on Saturday.
12. Entries must be picked up between 4:00 and 5 p.m. Sunday, Nov 4. Please, no early pickups. The Twentynine Palms Historical Society is not responsible for loss, damage or unclaimed entries.
The Weed Show is open to the public from noon to 4:00 p.m. on Sat (Nov 3) and 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Sun (Nov 4).
Please forward this page to any folks you may know who might be interested in attending or entering the weed show. All are welcome.
Any questions? Please send email to WeedShow@29palmshistorical.org, or call 760-362-4097.
The Twentynine Palms Historical Society Weed Show Committee invites you to learn the art of creating winning arrangements at a
FREE Weed Show workshop!
Please support our
Get Involved | Young Historian | Board of Directors | Research | O.S.H. Journal | School Tours | Events Calendar | Lectures | Weed ShowSM | Old Timers Gathering | Historic Sites | Hastie Bus | Generations | Homesteaders | Engraved Bricks | Displays | Gift Shop | President's Message | Articles | Photos | Links | Contact Us | Site Map
© 2008-2022 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved. Web hosting contributed by LazyPalm.com