Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
29 Palms Annual Weed Show
November 2 and 3, 2013
The Twentynine Palms Historical Society will host its annual "Weed Show" on November 2 and 3, 2013 at the Old Schoolhouse Museum. It is open to the public (free of charge) from noon to 4 p.m. on Saturday (November 2nd) and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday (November 3rd).
This year the Twentynine Palms Historical Society's Weed Show Committee decided to honor not only the Twentynine Palms area but the memory of Huell Howser as well. So in homage to Huell's "California's Gold," we give you "29 Palms Gold."
Landmarks, both physical and historical, play a vital function in the formation of a community. They provide direction and structure, link us emotionally, and give solace and comfort. They are the starting points to a future dreamed of and fulfilled. With them we set down roots that run deep in our hearts, minds, and souls. Choosing what represents "29 Palms Gold" wasn't easy when there is so much here that means so much to so many. So we tried to capture the essence of it all.
The Twentynine Palms Historical Society's 2013 Weed Show Committee is pleased to present:
"29 PALMS GOLD"
2013 WEED SHOW CATEGORIES
1. Sugar Bowl
2. Sheep Hole Pass
3. 29 Palms Art Gallery
4. Chocolate Drop
5. Four Corners
6. Old Schoolhouse
7. Historic Plaza
8. Oasis of Mara/JTNP
9. Gold Park
10. Condor Field/Marine Corps Base
11. Knott's Sky Park
12. Luckie Park
HOW TO ENTER THE 2013 WEED SHOW
Please read the rules carefully. There are some changes from previous years.
The rules are really quite simple, but if you have any questions please contact the committee member at the telephone number or email address listed below.
1. Enter as many categories as you wish but you can only have ONE entry per category.
2. All compositions MUST include dried desert plants; it is a weed show after all.
3. Each entry MUST have an accessory to fit the category, as indicated in the category descriptions.
4. Only natural adhesives may be used to hold the entry together, i.e., clay, sand, sap, etc. (that means no hot glue, oasis foam, mortar, grout, etc.)
5. No artificial plants are allowed. No live or dead critters (or any parts thereof) allowed.
6. Your entry must be solid and stable enough to permit handling by a committee member. Only committee members will be allowed to reposition a display. Construction paper or mat board may be used to complement your entry.
7. Due to limited space in the museum, the maximum size for indoor entries is 20"x16" and no more than 24" high with a maximum weight limit of 10 lbs. Larger or heavier entries will automatically be staged outside and will be unattended. Each outside entry must be strong enough to withstand wind and weather.
8. Category 1 is an ARRANGEMENT which uses ONLY fresh plant material, not necessarily native plants.
9. All other categories are COMPOSITIONS which may include fresh desert plant material together with a dried desert plant in its natural state, that is, not varnished or painted. A composition can also use dried desert plants exclusively.
10. Category 11 and 12 are ONLY for children 12 years of age and under. Entries must conform with general rules. Children may enter any other category but will be judged with the adults.
11. Entries must be brought to the museum between the hours of 4:00 and 6:30 p.m. on Friday, November 1 or Saturday, November 2 from 7:00 to 9:00 a.m. NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED. Everything must be assembled and completed by 9:15 a.m. NO EXCEPTIONS. Judging is from 9:30 a.m. to noon on Saturday.
12. The Weed Show is open to the public from noon to 4:00 p.m. on Sat (Nov 2) and 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Sun (Nov 3). Entries must be picked up between 4:00 and 5 p.m. Sunday, Nov 3. Please, no early pickups. The Twentynine Palms Historical Society is not responsible for loss, damage or unclaimed entries.
Please forward this page to any folks you may know who might be interested in attending or entering the weed show. All are welcome.
Any questions? Please send email to WeedShow@29palmshistorical.org, or call 760-910-3886.
Please support our
Get Involved | Young Historian | Board of Directors | Research | O.S.H. Journal | School Tours | Events Calendar | Lectures | Weed ShowSM | Old Timers Gathering | Historic Sites | Hastie Bus | Generations | Homesteaders | Engraved Bricks | Displays | Gift Shop | President's Message | Museum Expansion | Articles | Photos | Links | Contact Us |
© 2008-2019 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved. Web hosting contributed by LazyPalm.com