Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
29 Palms Annual Weed ShowSM
November 8 and 9, 2014
The Twentynine Palms Historical Society hosted its 2014 "Weed Show" on November 8 and 9, 2014 at the Old Schoolhouse Museum. It was open to the public (free of charge) from noon to 4 p.m. on Saturday (November 8th) and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday (November 9th).
A list of the 2014 winners is posted here.
The 2014 Twentynine Palms Historical Society's Weed Show Committee decided on a theme based on the nursery rhymes we all learned as children.
Learned at birth
To give us mirth
Then stuck in our heads
Until were dead
No matter the season
We don't need a reason
To take the time
To have fun with rhymes
The Twentynine Palms Historical Society's 2014 Weed Show Committee is pleased to present:
"ALL RHYME, NO REASON"
2014 WEED SHOW CATEGORIES
1. Queen of Hearts
2. Humpty Dumpty
3. Ency Weency Spider
4. Wee Willie Winkie
5. Simple Simon
6. Old Mother Hubbard
7. Jack & Jill
8. Baa Baa Black Sheep
9. Hickory Dickory Dock
10. Fee Fi Foe Fum
11. One, Two, Buckle My Shoe
12. Sticks & Stones – Kids 9 to 12
HOW TO ENTER THE 2014 WEED SHOW
Please read the rules carefully. There are some changes from previous years.
The rules are really quite simple, but if you have any questions please contact the committee member at the telephone number or email address listed below.
1. Enter as many categories as you wish but you can only have ONE entry per category.
2. All compositions MUST include dried desert plants; it is a weed show after all.
3. Each entry MUST have an accessory to fit the category, as indicated in the category descriptions.
4. Only natural adhesives may be used to affix the fresh or dried material to the entry, i.e., clay, sand, sap, etc. (that means no hot glue, oasis foam, mortar, grout, etc.)
5. No artificial plants are allowed. No live or dead critters (or any parts thereof) allowed.m,
6. Your entry must be solid and stable enough to permit handling by a committee member. Only committee members will be allowed to reposition a display. Construction paper or mat board may be used to complement your entry.
7. The maximum size for indoor entries is 20"x16' and no more than 24" high with a maximum weight limit of 10 lbs. Larger or heavier entries will automatically be staged outside and will be unattended. Each outside entry must be strong enough to withstand wind and weather.
8. Category 1 is an ARRANGEMENT which uses ONLY fresh plant material, not necessarily native plants. Museum quality means flawless--in perfect condition as manufactured. From the late 1800s to World War I, manganese was used in the manufacture of glass. When exposed to the sun, this glass turns purple. It is called sun purple and is considered prized in the Southwest.
9. All other categories are COMPOSITIONS which may include fresh desert plant material together with a dried desert plant in its natural state, that is, not varnished or painted. A composition can also use dried desert plants exclusively.
10. Category 11 and 12 are ONLY for children 12 years of age and under. Entries must conform with general rules. Children may enter any other category but will be judged with the adults.
11. Entries must be brought to the museum between the hours of 4:00 and 6:30 p.m. on Friday, November 7 or Saturday, November 8 from 7:00 to 9:00 a.m. NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED. Everything must be assembled and completed by 9:15 a.m. NO EXCEPTIONS. Judging is from 9:30 a.m. to noon on Saturday.
12. The Weed Show is open to the public from noon to 4:00 p.m. on Sat (Nov 8) and 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Sun (Nov 9). Entries must be picked up between 4:00 and 5 p.m. Sunday, Nov 9. Please, no early pickups. The Twentynine Palms Historical Society is not responsible for loss, damage or unclaimed entries.
Any questions? Please send email to WeedShow@29palmshistorical.org.
Please support our
Get Involved | Young Historian | Board of Directors | Research | O.S.H. Journal | School Tours | Events Calendar | Lectures | Weed ShowSM | Old Timers Gathering | Historic Sites | Hastie Bus | Generations | Homesteaders | Engraved Bricks | Displays | Gift Shop | President's Message | Museum Expansion | Articles | Photos | Links | Contact Us |
© 2008-2020 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved. Web hosting contributed by LazyPalm.com