Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
29 Palms Annual Weed ShowSM
November 4 and 5, 2017
29 Palms' oldest and most unique tradition now in its 77th year!
The 2017 Weed Show Committee chose categories based on local businesses of days gone by. We are pleased to present the:
"NO BUSINESS LIKE OLD BUSINESS"
This year's Weed Show will be open to the public from
noon to 4:00 p.m. on Sat (Nov. 4) and 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Sun (Nov. 5).
2017 WEED SHOW CATEGORIES
Category 1 – Sparkle Plenty
Category 2 – Sam's Character Room
Category 3 – 29 Palms Gemcrafts
Category 4 – Dixie Donuts
Category 5 – Ma Penn's
Category 6 – Pill Hill
Category 7 – Starlight Drive-In
Category 8 – 29 Palms Lumber
Category 9 – The Desert Trail
Category 10 – Sabol's Trading Post
Category 11 – The Paint Pot
Category 12 – Benton Bros (has it all)
HOW TO ENTER THE 2017 WEED SHOW
Please read the rules carefully. There are some changes from previous years.
The rules are really quite simple, but if you have any questions please contact the committee member at the telephone number or email address listed below.
1. You can only have ONE entry per category.
2. All compositions MUST include dried desert plants. (It is a weed show, after all.)
3. Each entry MUST have an accessory to fit the category, as indicated in the category descriptions.
4. Only natural adhesives may be used to affix the fresh or dried material to the entry, i.e., clay, sand, sap, etc. (that means no hot glue, oasis foam, mortar, grout, etc.)
5. No artificial plants allowed. No live or dead critters (or any parts thereof) allowed.
6. Your entry must be solid and stable enough to permit handling by a committee member. Only a committee member will be allowed to reposition a display. Construction paper or mat board may be used to complement your entry.
7. The maximum size for indoor entries is 20" x 16" and no more than 24" high with a maximum weight limit of 10 lbs. Larger or heavier entries will automatically be staged outside on the front porch and will be unattended. Each outside entry must be strong enough to withstand wind and weather.
8. Category 1 is an ARRANGEMENT which uses ONLY fresh plant material, not necessarily native plants. Museum quality means flawless--in perfect condition as manufactured.
9. All other categories are COMPOSITIONS which may include fresh desert plant material together with a dried desert plant in its natural state, that is, not varnished or painted. A composition can also use dried desert plants exclusively.
10. Category 11 is ONLY for children 12 years of age and under. Entries must conform with general rules. Children may enter any other category but will be judged with the adults.
11. Entries must be brought to the museum between the hours of 4:00 and 6:00 p.m. on Friday, November 3 or Saturday, November 4 from 7:00 to 9:00 a.m. NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED. Everything must be assembled and completed by 9:15 a.m. NO EXCEPTIONS. Judging is from 9:30 a.m. to noon on Saturday.
The Weed Show is open to the public from noon to 4:00 p.m. on Sat (Nov 5) and 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Sun (Nov 6). Entries must be picked up between 4:00 and 5 p.m. Sunday, Nov 6. Please, no early pickups. The Twentynine Palms Historical Society is not responsible for loss, damage or unclaimed entries.
Contact Person: Larry Bowden, Weed Show Chairman, 760-910-3886
Any questions? Please send email to WeedShow@29palmshistorical.org.
The Twentynine Palms Historical Society Weed Show Committee invites you to learn the art of creating winning arrangements at a
FREE Weed Show workshop!
Please support our
Get Involved | Young Historian | Board of Directors | Research | O.S.H. Journal | School Tours | Events Calendar | Lectures | Weed ShowSM | Old Timers Gathering | Historic Sites | Hastie Bus | Generations | Homesteaders | Engraved Bricks | Displays | Gift Shop | President's Message | Museum Expansion | Articles | Photos | Links | Contact Us |
© 2008-2019 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved. Web hosting contributed by LazyPalm.com