Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
29 Palms Annual Weed ShowSM
November 3 and 4, 2018
29 Palms' oldest and most unique tradition now in its 78th year!
The 2018 Weed Show Committee chose categories based on local businesses of days gone by. We are pleased to present the:
This year's Weed Show will be open to the public from
noon to 4:00 p.m. on Sat (Nov. 3) and 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Sun (Nov. 4).
2018 WEED SHOW CATEGORIES
Category 1 – Nelle Godwin - Purple Glass Entrepreneur
Category 2 – Doreen Chamberlin - Lovable Curmudgeon
Category 3 – Prudie Underhill - News Hound
Category 4 – Alice Moses - Desert Artist
Category 5 – Johnnie Hastie - Transportation Engineer
Category 6 – Bill McHaney - Miner
Category 7 – Blanche Ellis - Early Desert Tweeter
Category 8 – Ted Richardson - Photographer
Category 9 – Barbara Grether - Athlete
Category 10 – Bill Keys - Homesteader
Category 11 – Bill Proctor - Recreation Director
Category 12 – John Samuelson - Philosopher
RULES FOR ENTERING THE 2018 WEED SHOW
Please read the rules carefully.
The rules are really quite simple, but if you have any questions please contact the committee member at the telephone number or email address listed below.
1. You can only have ONE entry per category.
2. All compositions MUST include dried desert plants. (It is a weed show, after all.)
3. Each entry MUST have an accessory to fit the category, as indicated in the category descriptions.
4. Only natural adhesives may be used to affix the fresh or dried material to the entry, i.e., clay, sand, sap, etc. (that means no hot glue, oasis foam, mortar, grout, etc.)
5. No artificial plants allowed. No live or dead critters allowed.
6. Your entry must be solid and stable enough to permit handling by a committee member. Only a committee member will be allowed to reposition a display. Construction paper or mat board may be used to complement your entry.
7. The maximum size for indoor entries is 20"x16" and no more than 24" high with a maximum weight limit of 10 lbs. Larger or heavier entries will automatically be staged outside on the front porch and will be unattended. Each outside entry must be strong enough to withstand wind and weather.
8. Category 1 is an ARRANGEMENT which uses ONLY fresh plant material, not necessarily native plants. Museum quality means flawless--in perfect condition as manufactured.
9. All other categories are COMPOSITIONS which may include fresh desert plant material together with a dried desert plant in its natural state, that is, not varnished or painted. A composition can also use dried desert plants exclusively.
10. Category 11 is ONLY for children 12 years of age and under. Entries must conform to the general rules of height and weight. Children may enter any other category but will be judged with the adults.
11. Entries must be brought to the museum between the hours of 4:00 and 6:00 p.m. on Friday, November 2 or Saturday, November 3 from 7:00 to 9:00 a.m. NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED. Everything must be assembled and completed by 9:15 a.m. NO EXCEPTIONS. Judging is from 9:30 a.m. to noon on Saturday.
The Weed Show is open to the public from noon to 4:00 p.m. on Sat (Nov 3) and 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Sun (Nov 4). Entries must be picked up between 4:00 and 5 p.m. Sunday, Nov 4. Please, no early pickups. The Twentynine Palms Historical Society is not responsible for loss, damage or unclaimed entries.
Please forward this page to any folks you may know who might be interested in attending or entering the weed show. All are welcome.
Contact Person: Larry Bowden, Weed Show Chairman, 760-910-3886
The Twentynine Palms Historical Society Weed Show Committee invites you to learn the art of creating
winning arrangements at a
FREE Weed Show workshop!
Please support our
Get Involved | Young Historian | Board of Directors | Research | O.S.H. Journal | School Tours | Events Calendar | Lectures | Weed ShowSM | Old Timers Gathering | Historic Sites | Hastie Bus | Generations | Homesteaders | Engraved Bricks | Displays | Gift Shop | Book Shop | President's Message | Museum Expansion | Articles | Photos | Links | Contact Us | Site Map
© 2008-2017 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved. Web hosting contributed by LazyPalm.com