Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
29 Palms Annual Weed ShowSM
November 2 and 3, 2019
29 Palms' oldest and most unique tradition now in its 79th year!
The 2019 Weed Show Committee chose categories based on local businesses of days gone by. We are pleased to present the:
"GROWING LIKE A WEED"
This year's Weed Show will be open to the public from
noon to 4:00 p.m. on Sat (Nov. 2) and 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Sun (Nov. 3).
2019 WEED SHOW CATEGORIES
Category 1 – Nailed It - Purple Glass - Arrangement using Museum Quality (flawless–see rules) purple glass as an accessory. FRESH PLANT MATERIAL ONLY IS USED IN THIS CATEGORY NO DRIED MATERIAL.
Category 2 – Hammer Time - Broken Purple Glass - Composition using Broken Purple glass (broken or imperfect) as an accessory.
Category 3 – Nuts and Bolts - Miniature 3x3x3 overall composition using nuts and/or bolts or other small building items.
Category 4 – New Beginnings - Miniature 6x6x6 overall composition using drawing or drafting items as an accessory.
Category 5 – Light Up Your Life - Composition using an electrical item as an accessory.
Category 6 – Breaking Ground - Composition using a garden/digging tool as an accessory.
Category 7 – Final Inspection - Composition using a military item as an accessory. This category is a tribute to the many volunteers both Navy and Marines from MCAGCC who helped in building Founders Hall.
Category 8 – Door To The Future - Composition using any form of technology from 1927 until the future (even imaginary) as an accessory.
Category 9 – Measure Once Cut Twice - Composition using twins or two of a kind items as accessories.
Category 10 – Nothing Is In Cement - Oversized composition and any entry which exceeds the weight and size rules.
Category 11 – Building Knowledge - Kids 12 and under. Use any item related to building or knowledge as an accessory.
Category 12 – Raising The Roof / Anything Goes - This is the no-holds-barred category. Anything goes but weight and size rules are still followed.
RULES FOR ENTERING THE 2019 WEED SHOW
Please read the rules carefully.
The rules are really quite simple, but if you have any questions please contact the committee member at the telephone number or email address listed below.
1. You can only have ONE entry per category.
2. All compositions MUST include dried desert plants. (It is a weed show, after all.)
3. Each entry MUST have an accessory to fit the category, as indicated in the category descriptions.
4. No artificial plants allowed. No live or dead critters allowed.
5. Only natural adhesives may be used to affix the fresh or dried material to the entry, i.e., clay, sand, sap, etc. (no hot glue, oasis foam, mortar, grout, etc.)
6. Your entry must be solid and stable enough to permit handling by a committee member. Only a committee member will be allowed to reposition a display. Construction paper or mat board may be used to complement your entry.
7. The maximum size for indoor entries is 20"x16" and no more than 24" high with a maximum weight limit of 10 lbs. Larger or heavier entries will automatically be placed in Category 10.
8. Category 1 is an ARRANGEMENT which uses ONLY fresh plant material, not necessarily native plants. Museum quality means flawless--in perfect condition as manufactured.
9. All other categories are COMPOSITIONS which may include fresh desert plant material together with a dried desert plant in its natural state, that is, not varnished or painted. A composition can also use dried desert plants exclusively.
10. Category 11 is ONLY for children 12 years of age and under. Entries must conform to the general rules of height and weight. Children may enter any other category but will be judged with the adults.
11. Entries must be brought to the museum between the hours of 4:00 and 6:00 p.m. on Friday, November 2 or Saturday, November 3 from 7:00 to 9:00 a.m. NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED. Everything must be assembled and completed by 9:15 a.m. NO EXCEPTIONS. Judging is from 9:30 a.m. to noon on Saturday.
The Weed Show is open to the public from noon to 4:00 p.m. on Sat (Nov 2) and 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Sun (Nov 3). Entries must be picked up between 4:00 and 5 p.m. Sunday, Nov 3. Please, no early pickups. The Twentynine Palms Historical Society is not responsible for loss, damage or unclaimed entries.
Please forward this page to any folks you may know who might be interested in attending or entering the weed show. All are welcome.
Contact Person: Larry Bowden, Weed Show Chairman, 760-910-3886
The Twentynine Palms Historical Society Weed Show Committee invites you to learn the art of creating
winning arrangements at a
FREE Weed Show workshop!
Please support our
Get Involved | Young Historian | Board of Directors | Research | O.S.H. Journal | School Tours | Events Calendar | Lectures | Weed ShowSM | Old Timers Gathering | Historic Sites | Hastie Bus | Generations | Homesteaders | Engraved Bricks | Displays | Gift Shop | President's Message | Museum Expansion | Articles | Photos | Links | Contact Us |
© 2008-2019 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved. Web hosting contributed by LazyPalm.com