Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
29 Palms Annual Weed ShowSM
November 7 and 8, 2020
29 Palms' oldest and most unique tradition now in its 79th year!
This year's Weed Show will be open to the public from
noon to 4:00 p.m. on Sat (Nov. 7) and 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Sun (Nov. 8).
2020 WEED SHOW CATEGORIES
Category 1 – Sunrise, Sunset – purple glass perfection. Use museum quality sun-purpled glass with a majority of fresh plant material. Dried weeds may be added.
Category 2 – Dust Devil – use broken/imperfect sun-purpled glass in your entry with dried weeds.
Category 3 – Little Dipper – use a miniature accessory with dried weeds or a little animal entirely pieced together from small dried weeds. It just needs to fit in a 3" x 3" x 3" box, including the base.
Category 4 – Big Dipper – same as "Little Dipper" except it needs to fit in a 6" x 6" x 6" box.
Category 5 – Full Moon – use a light-creating device as an accessory with dried weeds (like an old lantern, candle, flashlight, headlight from a car, miner's headlamp, etc.).
Category 6 – Milky Way – use a star as an accessory with dried weeds (like a tin star shape, star-shaped vase or box, photo of an actual star or the Milky Way, etc.)
Category 7 – Blue Skies – use an accessory that is the color blue with dried weeds (like a blue spatter ware cup or plate or coffee pot, blue ceramic vase or crockery, a blue bird, blue denim, or any blue item).
Category 8 – Thunder and Lightning – use two accessories with dried weeds. One can make a sound and the other is related to electricity (like a harmonica and a light switch, or pocket change and a flashlight, or a kazoo and clock or watch, etc.).
Category 9 – Mirage – a scene to-scale or diorama with dried weeds (like matchbox cars on a road to scale through the desert, or a small lake or stream with small desert animals around it, or a homesteader cabin with windmill and water tank, or a train set with desert background, etc.).
Category 10 – Raining Cats and Dogs – use something associated with water with dried weeds (like any kind of plumbing, water valve or spigot, water pitcher, desert water bag used on cars in the early days, a cup or pan, etc.).
Category 11 – UFOs – Oversize entry with dried weeds that exceeds the weight or size rules.
Category 12 – Cloud Gazing – this category is for young children. What do you see in the clouds? Use your imagination.
RULES FOR ENTERING THE 2020 WEED SHOW
Please read the rules carefully.
The rules are really quite simple, but if you have any questions please contact the committee member at the telephone number listed below.
1. You can only have ONE entry per category.
2. All compositions MUST include dried desert plant material.
3. Each entry MUST have an accessory to fit the category, as indicated in the category descriptions.
4. No artificial plants allowed. No live or dead animal or bird parts are allowed. This includes feathers, and the reason is that some feathers in the past have come from birds that are protected and it caused all manner of problems.
5. Only natural adhesives may be used to affix the fresh or dried material to the entry, i.e., clay, sand, sap, etc. (no hot glue, mortar, grout, etc.)
6. Your entry must have a solid base and be stable enough to permit handling if for any reason your entry must be repositioned. Construction paper or mat board may be used to complement your entry.
7. The maximum size for entries is 20"x16" and no more than 24" high with a maximum weight limit of 10 lbs. Larger or heavier entries will automatically be placed in Category 10.
8. Category 1 is an ARRANGEMENT which uses fresh plant material, not necessarily native plants. Minimal use of dried weed is allowed. Museum quality means sun faded see thru purple glass which is flawless--in perfect condition as manufactured, not chipped or cracked, bubbles inside the glass from manufacturing are ok.
9. All other categories are COMPOSITIONS which may include fresh desert plant material together with dried desert plant material in its natural state, that is, not recently varnished or painted. A composition can also use dried desert plants exclusively.
10. Category 12 is ONLY for children 12 years of age and under. Entries must conform to the general rules of height and weight. Children may enter any other category but will be judged with the adults.
11. Entries must be brought to the museum between the hours of 2:00 and 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 6, 12:00 and 4:00 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 7, or Saturday, Nov. 8 from 7:00 to 9:00 a.m. We will not allow overcrowding situations to occur so come early Saturday or, better yet, an earlier day. NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED. Everything must be assembled and completed by 9:15 a.m. NO EXCEPTIONS. Judging is from 9:30 a.m. to noon on Saturday.
The Weed Show is open to the public on Sat (Nov 7) from noon to 4:00 p.m. and on Sun (Nov 8) 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Entries must be picked up between 4:00 and 5 p.m. Sunday, Nov 9. Please, no early pickups. The Twentynine Palms Historical Society is not responsible for loss, damage or unclaimed entries.
NOTE: The society may adjust setup, pickup, and viewing hours as well as limit the number of persons entering in order to comply with the COVID-19 restrictions in effect at the time.
Please forward this page to any folks you may know who might be interested in attending or entering the weed show. All are welcome.
Contact Person: Larry Bowden, Weed Show Chairman, 760-501-1718
Please support our
Get Involved | Young Historian | Board of Directors | Research | O.S.H. Journal | School Tours | Events Calendar | Lectures | Weed ShowSM | Old Timers Gathering | Historic Sites | Hastie Bus | Generations | Homesteaders | Engraved Bricks | Displays | Gift Shop | President's Message | Articles | Photos | Links | Contact Us | Site Map
© 2008-2020 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved. Web hosting contributed by LazyPalm.com