Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
29 Palms Annual Weed ShowSM
November 6 and 7, 2021
29 Palms' oldest and most unique tradition now in its 80th year!
This year's Weed Show will be open to the public from
noon to 4:00 p.m. on Sat (Nov. 6) and 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Sun (Nov. 7).
2021 WEED SHOW CATEGORIES
Category 1 – In A Perfect World – purple glass perfection. Use museum quality sun-purpled glass with a majority of fresh plant material. Dried weeds may be added.
Category 2 – Picking Up the Pieces – use broken/imperfect sun-purpled glass in your entry with dried weeds.
Category 3 – Murder Hornets – use a miniature accessory with dried weeds, no real bugs. It just needs to fit in a 3" X 3" X 3" box, including the base.
Category 4 – Social Distancing – same as "Murder Hornets" except it needs to fit in a 6" X 6" X 6" box.
Category 5 – Earthquake – anything that shakes, rattles or rolls can be used as an accessory.
Category 6 – Melt Down – any metal can be used as an accessory.
Category 7 – Asteroid Strike – use any rock or mineral as an accessory.
Category 8 – Climate Change/Global Warming – any temperature measuring item can be used as an accessory. (Thermometer, barometer, hygrometer, etc.)
Category 9 – Haboob – any wind effected item as an accessory. Wind vane, anemometer, wind sock, pinwheel… get clever.
Category 10 – On the Road Again – a scene to-scale or diorama with dried weeds (like matchbox cars on a road to scale through the desert, or a homesteader cabin with windmill and water tank, or a train set with desert background, etc.)
Category 11 – Desert Intruders – This is the anything goes category. Use any accessory you like to create your entry. This category allows you to use a prized accessory you have that is outside of the categories above. Weight and size rules still apply.
Category 12 – Big Brother – Oversize entry with dried weeds that are made large on purpose or an entry in any of the above categories that exceeds the weight and or size rule. All oversize entries will be outside during the entire Weed Show in the enclosed courtyard of Founders Hall.
RULES FOR ENTERING THE 2010 WEED SHOW
Please read the rules carefully.
The rules are really quite simple, but if you have any questions please contact the committee member at the telephone number listed below.
1. You can only have ONE entry per category.
2. All compositions MUST include dried desert plant material.
3. Each entry MUST have an accessory to fit the category, as indicated in the category descriptions.
4. No artificial plants allowed. No live or dead animal or bird parts are allowed. This includes feathers, and the reason is that some feathers in the past have come from birds that are protected and it caused all manner of problems.
5. Only natural adhesives may be used to affix the fresh or dried material to the entry, i.e., clay, sand, sap, etc. (no hot glue, mortar, grout, etc.)
6. Your entry must have a solid base and be stable enough to permit handling if for any reason your entry must be repositioned. Construction paper or mat board may be used to complement your entry.
7. The maximum size for entries is 20"x16" and no more than 24" high with a maximum weight limit of 10 lbs. Larger or heavier entries will automatically be placed in Category 12.
8. Category 1 is an ARRANGEMENT which uses fresh plant material, not necessarily native plants. Minimal use of dried weed is allowed. Museum quality means sun faded see thru purple glass which is flawless--in perfect condition as manufactured, not chipped or cracked, bubbles inside the glass from manufacturing are okay.
9. All other categories are COMPOSITIONS which may include fresh desert plant material together with dried desert plant material in its natural state, that is, not recently varnished or painted. A composition can also use dried desert plants exclusively.
10. Entries must be brought to the museum between the hours of 2:00 and 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 4, 12:00 and 4:00 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 5, or Saturday, Nov. 6 from 7:00 to 9:00 a.m. We will not allow overcrowding situations to occur so come early Saturday or, better yet, an earlier day. NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED. Everything must be assembled and completed by 9:15 a.m. NO EXCEPTIONS. Judging is from 9:30 a.m. to noon on Saturday.
11. The Weed Show is open to the public on Sat (Nov 6) from noon to 4:00 p.m. and on Sun (Nov 7) 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Entries must be picked up between 4:00 and 5 p.m. Sunday, Nov 8. Please, no early pickups. The Twentynine Palms Historical Society is not responsible for loss, damaged or unclaimed entries.
12. Contact Person: Larry Bowden, Weed Show Chairman, 760-501-1718
NOTE: The society may adjust setup, pickup, and viewing hours as well as limit the number of persons entering in order to comply with the COVID-19 restrictions in effect at the time.
Please forward this page to any folks you may know who might be interested in attending or entering the weed show. All are welcome.
Contact Person: Larry Bowden, Weed Show Chairman, 760-501-1718
Please support our
Get Involved | Young Historian | Board of Directors | Research | O.S.H. Journal | School Tours | Events Calendar | Lectures | Weed ShowSM | Old Timers Gathering | Historic Sites | Hastie Bus | Generations | Homesteaders | Engraved Bricks | Displays | Gift Shop | President's Message | Articles | Photos | Links | Contact Us | Site Map
© 2008-2021 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved. Web hosting contributed by LazyPalm.com