Twentynine Palms Historical Society
29 Palms, California
29 Palms Annual Weed ShowSM
November 4 and 5, 2023
29 Palms' oldest and most unique tradition now in its 83rd year!
We are pleased to present the 2023 Weed Show:
The Hollywood Connection
This year's Weed Show will be open to the public from
noon to 4:00 p.m. on Sat (Nov. 4) and 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Sun (Nov. 5).
2023 WEED SHOW CATEGORIES
Category 1 – Purple Rain – Arrangement using perfect translucent sun-purple glass with fresh plant material only, not necessarily native plants.
Category 2 – Broken Arrow – Composition using broken or imperfect translucent sun-purple glass as an accessory.
Category 3 – Honey I Shrunk The Kids – 3”x 3”x 3” overall composition.
Category 4 – Breakfast At Tiffany's – 6”x 6”x 6” overall composition.
Category 5 – Fifth Element – Composition using any of the 5 natural elements (Earth, Air, Fire, Water & Life Force [Love]) as an accessory.
Category 6 – Edward Scissorhands – Composition using any type of cutting tool as an accessory.
Category 7 – Back To The Future – Composition using any technology, past, present,or future, as an accessory.
Category 8 – Goonies – Composition using any item related to treasure as an accessory.
Category 9 – Independence Day – Composition using the colors red, white and/or blue as an accessory.
Category 10 – Music Man – Composition using any item related to music as an accessory.
Category 11 – It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World – This is an ANYTHING goes composition. Use any accessory you like. Size and weight rules apply..
Category 12 – Iron Man – This category is for children only, aged 12 years or younger, Composition using any item made of metal as an accessory.
Category 13 – Big – This is the oversize category which exceeds the size or weight rules. No assigned accessory. All oversize entries will be displayed outside for the duration of the Weed Show.
RULES FOR ENTERING THE 2023 WEED SHOW
Please read the rules carefully.
1. You can only have ONE entry per category.
2. Perfect Glass: means it is flawless glass which has turned purple by the sun.
3. Category 1 is an arrangement with fresh plant material only, not necessarily native, using perfect translucent sun-purple glass.
4. Categories 2-13 are compositions which may include fresh desert plant material along with dried desert plant material in it”s natural state, no paint or varnish allowed.
5. Each entry MUST have an accessory to fit the category as indicated where the accessory is assigned.
6. *PLEASE READ* The maximum size for entries (all categories except 3,4 & 13) is 16” x 16” and no more than 24” tall with a maximum weight limit of 10 lbs. Larger and heavier entries will automatically be placed in Category 13 outside.
7. No parts or anything produced from or by an animal living or dead are allowed, such as skins, feathers, droppings, bones or eggs, with the exception of leather.
8. Minimal use of adhesive is allowed. Part of the judging will be on the discreet use of all adhesives.
9. Due to not knowing how many entries may come in, your entry must be stable enough to be moved. A solid base is highly recommended and construction paper or mat board may be used to complement your entry.
10. Entries must be brought to Founder's Hall Thursday, November 2nd from 4:00 to 6:00 pm, Friday, November 3rd from 4:00 to 7:00 pm or Saturday, November 4th from 7:00 to 9:00 am. NO late entries will be accepted. All entries must be assembled and in place by 9:15 am. NO EXCEPTIONS. Judging is from 9:30 am to noon on Saturday.
11. The Weed Show is open to the public Saturday November 4th from noon to 4:00 pm and on Sunday November 5th from 10 am to 4:00 pm.
12. Entries must be picked up Sunday, Nov. 5th from 4:15p.m. to 5:00p.m. NO EARLY PICKUPS WILL BE ALLOWED! If you have someone else picking up your entries, make sure the Weed Show Committee is notified.
13. The Twentynine Palms Historical Society is not responsible for lost, damaged, or unclaimed entries.
Please forward this page to any folks you may know who might be interested in attending or entering the weed show. All are welcome.
Any questions? Please send email to WeedShow@29palmshistorical.org.
Please support our
Get Involved | Young Historian | Board of Directors | Research | O.S.H. Journal | School Tours | Events Calendar | Lectures | Weed ShowSM | Old Timers Gathering | Historic Sites | Hastie Bus | Generations | Homesteaders | Engraved Bricks | Displays | Gift Shop | President's Message | Articles | Photos | Links | Contact Us | Site Map
© 2008-2023 Twentynine Palms Historical Society. All rights reserved. Web hosting contributed by LazyPalm.com